Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am I overstepping

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:38 AM
  • 40 Replies

My best friends baby will be 1 July 20th. Since he has been born I have been like the second parent. I took him for a week when she was sick, I watch him full time for free, I take him when she wants to go out, I go get him just because. She has not planned a party for him. It's a long story but he was not planned or well excepted by her family. So I have planned a party for him here. She is fine with it. But other people think I am overstepping. I think every baby deserves a first birthday and as the other adult that has supported him (physically, emotionally, and financially) through this first year, if she won't I will.

Am I overstepping?

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SJG1013
by SJG on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:40 AM
1 mom liked this
No, if anyone should have a problem it is the mother and she doesn't.
Litlmama87
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:41 AM
I don't think you are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reaandiziesmama
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Thanks. So many people say that I am trying to take over. I just don't want him to go without. 

Quoting SJG1013:

reaandiziesmama
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Thanks. I love him so much. He's like my own. I can't imagine him not having a party.

Quoting Litlmama87:

I don't think you are.

Princess_s21
by Sarah on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I dont see anything wrong with it if the childs Mother is ok with it, overstepping would be if you planned it without discussing it with her first, or if you forced the issue of having a party for him when she didnt really want one, if you didnt do that I dont think your over stepping. If the Mother likes it everyone else should love it.

SJG1013
by SJG on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Does she have other kids? How old is she? (You don't have to answer)

Quoting reaandiziesmama:

Thanks. So many people say that I am trying to take over. I just don't want him to go without. 

Quoting SJG1013:

spicy_n_sweet
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:46 AM

The only person's opinion that should matter or count for anything in this situation... Is the mothers.  

What she says, is the way it is. No one else's opinion on the subject matters.

reaandiziesmama
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Thank you. She just can't afford it. I can't imagine him not having a first birthday party and don't mind doing it. But I have been told I am out of line. I couldn't love him more if I had him. He's like my own and I just can't NOT do for him.

Quoting Princess_s21:

I dont see anything wrong with it if the childs Mother is ok with it, overstepping would be if you planned it without discussing it with her first, or if you forced the issue of having a party for him when she didnt really want one, if you didnt do that I dont think your over stepping. If the Mother likes it everyone else should love it.

kurmom
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:49 AM
If mom is okay with it then I thinks it's fine! I applaud you for taking the time to make sure he gets to have a birthday!! :)
reaandiziesmama
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:51 AM

She is 28. She has an 8 year old dd. She lost her way for awhile and her family hasn't been able to forgive her. I love her and those kids so much. I am so proud of how far she has come in the last two years. She went from a druggie with nothing to holding her own and doing it alone. But she has no money for a party and feels it's pointless since I and my friends would be the only ones to come.

Quoting SJG1013:

Does she have other kids? How old is she? (You don't have to answer)

Quoting reaandiziesmama:

Quoting SJG1013:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)