Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My friend has ended up with two babies less than a week apart...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

My friend had a baby about a week ago.  Her sister had a baby four days before that.  Since my friend got home both babies have been in her care and her sister hasn't been around.  My friend is 29 and her sister is 16.  My friend would love to raise both babies so that the other one doesn't go into foster care.  She also has no clue where her sister is.  How long should she wait before reporting anything?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
southernwldchld
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:07 AM

I would advise a lawyer so it can be done properly. I believe she can file for abandonment and temporary order of custody. But like I said, lawyer.

All of time and space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was
Where do you want to start? Take the Doctors hand and join us at Cafe Who!

macysmom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:08 AM
I wouldn't report it. Or is it illegal to not report?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
southernwldchld
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Also how long depends on your state and what they consider parental abandonment. Where I am it is two weeks of no contact, or inabilty to locate the parent.

All of time and space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was
Where do you want to start? Take the Doctors hand and join us at Cafe Who!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:09 AM

She is calling a lawyer.  She just doesn't want to stir up a whole bunch of shit and possibly have the baby removed.  She is married and her dh has a good job.  She is taking 3 months maternity leave from her job and can take more if needed.

Quoting southernwldchld:

I would advise a lawyer so it can be done properly. I believe she can file for abandonment and temporary order of custody. But like I said, lawyer.

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Is the sister like actually missing? I'd have her do as much research as possible on her state laws. Usually they do want to keep them with family, but where is the father?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:13 AM

The sister was living with her....and left.  Just didn't come back.  Not sure about the father.  I know he is the same age as the sister.  The sisters phone is still on...she just won't answer it.  She sent a text saying she was okay. 

Quoting elephantmamaof2:

Is the sister like actually missing? I'd have her do as much research as possible on her state laws. Usually they do want to keep them with family, but where is the father?

twade26
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Talk to a lawyer about getting temporary guardianship first. If she has guardianship and her sister comes back then she will have to fight her in court to get guardianship revoked. After getting guardianship, then talk to a lawyer about getting custodu. It is not easy. I did it with my nephew and it was extremely hard for my whole family. Tell her to document everything. WHen she left, if she calls, what she says, EVERYTHING. It will be beneficial to the court if she has an accurate timeline of everything. It is a long, hard, stressful road but if her sister is acting like that, it is definitely worth it.

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Hm, that's tough. The very first person they'll look at for custody is the father, unfortunately. I don't know, maybe at this point I'd hold off on reporting until she's personally discussed it with both her sister and the father. But she will need something signed by the sister and notorized if she needs to take the baby to the doctor or anything.

Quoting Anonymous:

The sister was living with her....and left.  Just didn't come back.  Not sure about the father.  I know he is the same age as the sister.  The sisters phone is still on...she just won't answer it.  She sent a text saying she was okay. 

Quoting elephantmamaof2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured