Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

McDonald's is a terrible place to work.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 126 Replies

I work at McDonald's right now, and THANK GOD I have less than two weeks left because I found a new job. After working at this fast food restaurant for nearly two years, I have a few things to say..

• The managers can be EXTREMELY rude. They don't communicate with each other at all. If someone does something wrong, or less than perfect, they will blow up. Mind you, 75% of the time, crew members aren't given any sort of training before being thrown into it.
  • There is some stuff that they never clean. Or that isn't cleaned properly. Managers don't enforce strict cleaning codes, so the crew won't do it, either. 
  • They don't care what your available hours are. If you say you're available from 6 AM to 10 PM, they'll schedule you 7 PM to 3 in the morning, if they want. And then they blame you and say you need to fix it. This happens ALL the time.
  • For the past year I have been training new employees and I have been promised to become certified (we'll do it next week, next month, etc.). They never certified me to be a trainer, never gave me a raise, nothing. I've started refusing to train people unless they certify me and give me the raise, because it's not fair. 
  • On busy days, there's a good chance you won't get a break. I've had coworkers work 8+ hours without any sort of break. Why don't they report it? I don't know. At 9:15 PM one night (when I was off at 10 PM and had already worked 7 hours) if I didn't get a break I was going home. So I went on break and came back to work 15 minutes.

The list goes on and on and on. I'm sure there are several health hazards in the restaurant, too, that they simply don't care about.

That is my vent, and also why I quit this job. Next time you're sitting in the drive thru, wondering why it's taking so long to get your food, just remember, it's because everyone has been burned out with stress and dealing with incompetent managers. They simply doesn't give a shit. 

I've also heard my manager say she won't hire anyone over 50 or anyone who isn't heterosexual. NO, I am not making this up. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
casah4
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Well, yeah.  It's McDonald's.  I'd expect nothing less.

km1970
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I am sure it's like any place you work. Some places are managed better than others. I am glad you found another job. Hopefully, it will be a better place to work.

KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM
I hated working there at age 15.
quinnsmom715
by Donna on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:44 AM
2 moms liked this

i worked at mcdonalds for 10 years,2 as a manager.i think it was your store because mine was very food safety and cleanliness aware.scheduling was very good.if you had a problem,theyed work it out..many of the people i worked with are lifelong friends.i even met my sons dad there..

DaconosMommy
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:45 AM
I worked at one year's ago and it was nothing like this. I think it depends on the gm how the place is really running. Sorry you had to deal with this.
jas_momof2
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:45 AM
2 moms liked this

It's a franchise with different owners...  They're not all the same.

illinoismommy83
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:46 AM

The whole break thing  is strange. In most states there are strict laws about minors going to  lunch and breaks on time, and since the target employee is 16-20, you'd think they would be good about getting at least the kids to break on time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I had a high school teacher who worked at McDonalds a long time ago and the cleaning has not changed appearently..he said he was asked to go clean the bathroom and when he was done they didn't give him a chance to wash his hands before making him go cut up lettuce and tomatoes he quit on the spot and told them they were disgusting and has never eatten there since.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM

The problem is, they simply don't care. There is one manager who is particularly bad about it, even with strict laws, she just doesn't care. She will go sit back in her office and eat rather than giving someone a break.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

The whole break thing  is strange. In most states there are strict laws about minors going to  lunch and breaks on time, and since the target employee is 16-20, you'd think they would be good about getting at least the kids to break on time.

justinnaimee
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM
It sounds like you work at a crappy location. I worked at mcds for two years as well. We had great managers, breaks were strictly enforced, and cleaning schedules were strictly enforced. If I needed a job I wouldnt hesitate to go back.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)