Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Carmax.. Have you used it?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

We are thinking of selling our paid off car to carmax rather than just trading it in . It's worth $14,500 for good condition trade in and $17,000 if we sell it ourselves ( which isn't working out at all). Its actually in better than good condition with extremely low miles but no one gives better than good condition for trade in. But you all know how dealers are they are only offering $10k which is a joke!

I heard carmax will give you the actual trade in value.. Is this true?? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justpeachy71904
by peachy on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:52 PM
No imo they under price your car :( we made more selling it ourselves ... Takes more time though
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Quoting justpeachy71904:

No imo they under price your car :( we made more selling it ourselves ... Takes more time though

It's been 6 Months and we haven't even had one offer !! It's priced $2k below the value and there are hardly any other cars like it anywhere near us and they all have double the mileage and are asking more than us.

Gabeys_Mommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:56 PM
No, they're crooks. I got a quote one time for $5,000 on a car I later sold myself for $9,500.
mybabiesmama916
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:59 PM

They underprice it for sure.

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I'd rather trade it in towards a large down-payment on a newer, fancier vehicle with super low payments.

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:01 PM
where do you have it listed? Is it parked anywhere?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting justpeachy71904:

It's been 6 Months and we haven't even had one offer !! It's priced $2k below the value and there are hardly any other cars like it anywhere near us and they all have double the mileage and are asking more than us.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Quoting justpeachy71904:

where do you have it listed? Is it parked anywhere?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting justpeachy71904:

Ya we have it listed on Craigslist and auto trader and we are also military which has a for sale lot on base that we have it on as well as their website.

ThatSkinnyGirl
by FAT on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:05 PM
No they will definitely under price it. If its been sitting for a long time you will have to just decide if you are willing to take the cut. Cars almost never sell for what you think they are worth or even what blue book says they are.
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:08 PM

The 4 people I know who have gone through carmax were really satisfied. However I think it really depends on which lot you go to. Some will be fair, some wont. 

sweetboys4me
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Go get an offer. You dont have to accept it. There may be an online calculator on their site.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)