Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I got fired over medical marijuana

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 59 Replies

I have worked for the company for 10 years. My boss and i have always got along up until a few months ago.  He got angry when I didn't want a promotion. Don't get me wrong i was flattered when he asked and the position was great but it would have changed my schedule and my dh and i wouldn't have been able to work opposite shifts like we do. We would have no childcare so it wasnt really an option. Ever since then my boss has been trying to find ways to get rid of me and he finally found one.

I am a mmj user. I have epilepsy and i smoke at night after work to help with seizures and other things. When I got my red card my boss/work had me sign an agreement saying that as long as I did not use before and during work I would be exempt for being fired over a positive marijuana drug test. I felt that was fair and thought we would have no problems. My boss is also a mmj user and we have the same caregiver. 

Well he called me into his office yesterday and told me i needed to take a drug test. I went and took the test and of course it came up positive for marijuana. I got called into his office this morning and he told me o was fired. He told me that when the new management switched over and we became a new company with new policies that the agreement was null. I just could not believe it. I just do not know what to do. I am meeting with an attorney tomorrow to see if I have any options but I dont think so. I live in CO and have my red card but that doesn't save me from getting fired. UGH

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 27, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Because mj is still against federal law, I dont know that you have legal recourse
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

You won't.

I also live in CO and I ALSO have my medical marijuana card, still valid until August 16th of this year.

The federal government does not recognize marijuana as a legal drug, we live in an at will state so he could have fired you for whatever he wanted ANYWAY.

A few of your statements are not indicative that you actually live in Colorado, have an MMJ card, or understand employee/employer rights in our state.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Ordinarily I would tell you that you are SOL, but if you have that agreement in writing, you may have a case for wrongful termination, and if nothing else, may be entitled to unemployment.
Ttucker1981
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:03 PM

exactly this. Employers can still fire you in colorado, even with a red license because of the federal law. You won't have a case on this, sorry mama

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Because mj is still against federal law, I dont know that you have legal recourse

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Doesn't seem fair.  I would be livid.  

wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Sounds like his hands were tied by someone higher rank over him. It's not his fault.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I understand how the law works. I just don't know if he can just throw out a signed agreement like that. I dont have much hope for being able to do anything  but I want to make sure

Quoting OwlNuggets:

You won't.

I also live in CO and I ALSO have my medical marijuana card, still valid until August 16th of this year.

The federal government does not recognize marijuana as a legal drug, we live in an at will state so he could have fired you for whatever he wanted ANYWAY.

Ttucker1981
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:05 PM

the original post stated that they changed companies so her writing agreement is null and void. If it was under the previous company, she would have a case

Quoting Anonymous:

Ordinarily I would tell you that you are SOL, but if you have that agreement in writing, you may have a case for wrongful termination, and if nothing else, may be entitled to unemployment.

BrittSam2011
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Wow, that's fucked up

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:06 PM

His hands were not tied. He uses it himself so does at least ome other employee who is a mmj also. I was the ONLY one tested. He was a douche and wanted me gone

Quoting wkukid:

Sounds like his hands were tied by someone higher rank over him. It's not his fault.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)