Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

today at my prenatal health education class

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
Yeah is weird and of my other two kids I never had to attend a class in order to see the ob but whatever. I met with the educator, while talking with her she asks me if I plan to breastfeed. I told her yes and that I breast fed my son til 17 months and that I hope to got to the recommend 2 years this time. She looked at me with a look like I was stupid and told no they actually only recommend to bf til 12 months and after that they need real food. I told her oh ok I thought the who recommends 2 years and she looked at me and laughs like im dumb again.
I know not everyone feels it is nessasary both this woman was fairly new and I really think she could go back to school! I don't care if anyone feels the same ways as I do but working as s health educator in an obgyn office she should have s bit more knowledge in that area.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Bump
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Wow. Thats sad...imagine all tje bad info shes giving to new moms too
haymama
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Wow that's crazy. Good for you though that's awesome, congratulations on baby. Im on my 4th nursling. I have bfed for varying lengths of time for different reasons and my last i bfed til 16 1/2 months and now my 4th is 5 months old going strong and i plan to bf him for at least the same that's the plan anyways. Your right she really should be better educated than that even if its something she may disagree with. Is she just a nurse they use or an actual location consultant? I hope she doesn't give anymore wrong/misguided information people count on yrs and educators alike to know what they are talking about. I learned the hard way that drs often aren't fully educated and knowledgeable when it comes to breastfeeding
MixedCooke
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:15 AM

i would just reiterate that 12 months is the minimum NOT the maximum recommended.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:17 AM

She sounds like a terd. (and yes, I realize that's not the standard spelling, but I like it better, so too bad!)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:25 AM

12 months is about when a child can be weaned to cow's milk, but it is recommended to BF instead of formula or cow's milk until 24 months. Some mothers continue letting their kids get it right from the breast, others will pump and let their kids drink it from a sippy cup (since that is about when the cups are introduced, as well).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN