Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

OMG! It's All They Talk About! (With Update! I'm so mad!)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies

My Dh and his friends.  Now, you may say that he and they could do worst things, but he's been car crazy for over 20 years, ever since I've known him.  His friends too.  It''s cars, cars, cars, 24/7.  They meet at a restaurant on Sat. morning and Sun. afternoon, and talk about cars.  They all get car magazines, and go far away to car shows.

I used to go to the shows with him, but it got so I couldn't stand it.  Car, cars, cars.  If he gets any extra money together it's spent on cars.  He spends all his spare time fixing up this old sports car, one of the many he has.  When he gets that fixed up, he'll start on another.  Then, there's the demolition derby, and the Car Cruises in the Summer  

It bores me to distraction, but I have to live with a certain excitement from him about, cars, cars, cars. 

UPDATE!-  We  had money saved up for a great vacation.  We'd been saving it for years.  He took that money out of the bank and spent it all on a vintage car!  I'm furious!

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fjamrkr
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:13 AM
I share in my husband's interests.

Sure, sometimes I get bored waiting for him to take a million pictures of the same whatever-it-is, but I get excited for him that he's proud of his work and loves it.

It helps to know a few basics about the subject in question.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Quoting Fjamrkr:

Sure, sometimes I get bored waiting for him to take a million pictures of the same whatever-it-is, but I get excited for him that he's proud of his work and loves it.

I tried and over the years I've learned a few things, but after a while I gave up.  I just can't share in his obsession any more.  It makes me want to scream.  

Fjamrkr
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Have you tried helping him fix up the old car he's working on?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Fjamrkr:

I tried and over the years I've learned a few things, but after a while I gave up.  I just can't share in his obsession any more.  It makes me want to scream.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM

At least he's not cheating...

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Quoting Fjamrkr:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Fjamrkr:

Yep, I tried to help him fix them up, at first, but after days of black grease under my broken nails and ground in black grease in my skin, NO!  I just don't care enough about cars, at all, to put up with that!  

JDmommyJD
by ♥Awesome Sauce♥ on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:24 AM

yikes. Hobbies are one thing, but when they consume that much of your life, its an obsession. When do you do things with the kids?

cyork2
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:25 AM
My dh is obsessed too. Not a day goes by where he isn't showing me something he found on craigslist, or pictures of cars online, lol. I don't mind it though. I grew up around cars and worked at our local racetrack for 14 years. It gives us something to talk about and he loves that I show interest with him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Quoting cyork2:

My dh is obsessed too. Not a day goes by where he isn't showing me something he found on craigslist, or pictures of cars online, lol. I don't mind it though. I grew up around cars and worked at our local racetrack for 14 years. It gives us something to talk about and he loves that I show interest with him.

I was like that at first too, but it's going on 23 years now.

danie24
by Ruby Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I wouldn't be able to date or marry a guy like that.. who was obsessed with mind numbing bullshit. LOL

I prefer the company of people who talk about things that matter. Things that make you think. World issues, politics, the environment, science, medicine, etc.

Fjamrkr
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Maybe you could be in charge of the accessories?

Finding the perfect gear shift handle, picking the upholstery, choosing a paint color or pattern.

(If all that's a no, then I'm out of ideas. Lol.)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Fjamrkr:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Fjamrkr:

Yep, I tried to help him fix them up, at first, but after days of black grease under my broken nails and ground in black grease in my skin, NO!  I just don't care enough about cars, at all, to put up with that!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)