Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

how tacky.....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 207 Replies

i just got an invite to my nephews wedding,at the bottom it says "as a gift bring a new covered dish that the couple can wash and reuse"....a pot luck.....and they want everyone to buy a new dish (baking dish,casserole dish,crock pot etc) and after the wedding they will wash it(most likely my sister will wash them) and use it in their new place. they cant even afford catering for 45 people......or in the very least make the food themselves....smh.....if this wedding were up to my nephew he'd get it catered by a chinese food place not ask everyone to bring a dish......

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fraujones
by Mommytron on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:00 PM
6 moms liked this

Yeah, but it sounds cheaper than a traditional wedding gift. And fun. 

PeaceLoveZ
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe they can afford it, they would just rather do it this way to get new dishes. It's only 45 people, I would have no problem making a dish. I personally would never, maybe a house warming but not a wedding.

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:01 PM
11 moms liked this

Actually, that sounds fucking WIN.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this
who cares. do something nice and do what they requested. not everyone has 20, 000 $ to spend on a wedding
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Quoting fraujones:

yeah how fun,make everyone slave the day before to bring them food for a wedding they obviously can afford

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this
That's a lot of covered dishes! What the hell would they need 45 different dishes for?

It's a bit tacky but its better than some of the other shit I've seen so I'd do it actually.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:02 PM
3 moms liked this

I think people have become to standardized to large, catered weddings. At one point in history receptions were usually pot luck at  a family members home to celebrate the nuptials. It wasn't this extravagant event like so many feel it is today. 

Do I think it's tacky to put that on an invite? Sure do. But I see nothing wrong with a reception being a family affair. It doesn't have to be black tie, dine and wine type event. Don't go if you have a problem with it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Quoting Roxygurl:

That's a lot of covered dishes! What the hell would they need 45 different dishes for?

It's a bit tacky but its better than some of the other shit I've seen so I'd do it actually.

i have no idea....i think his df bakes a lot.....im not sure but its a waste of space to have that many dishes

fraujones
by Mommytron on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I like cooking, so it wouldn't bug me. And sometimes Idk what the hell to get people besides money or booze, so it'd spare me guesswork. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting fraujones:

yeah how fun,make everyone slave the day before to bring them food for a wedding they obviously can afford

elitish
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM
2 moms liked this

That's a completely acceptable request, a lot more affordable than gifts from a registry for their guests, and serves two purposes. Things to use for their home, and provides food for the wedding.

Also, you must be living under a rock, because this is a perfectly acceptable thing to do nowadays, and it's tacky at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)