Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

how to word a wedding invitation....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 229 Replies

having a pot luck(we cant afford catering,its a bajillion dollars here in CA) im not making it mandatory but i want to know how do i word an invitation without it sounding......rude(is that the right word?)

i was thinking something like,please join the bride and groom after the ceremony for a potluck reception,each couple(or guest) is encouraged to bring a covered dish,along with the recipe so the bride and groom can make and enjoy it later

and then something like,contact the bride or groom with the dish you are bringing

help me.....im not like this girly bride who's been planning this forever,i dont even know wedding etiquette all that well lol

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 28, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 28, 2013 at 5:32 PM
3 moms liked this
"...how do i word an invitation without it sounding......rude"

You don't.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jun. 28, 2013 at 5:34 PM
2 moms liked this

How incredibly annoying. First I have to decide on a dish, let you know what it is, make it, fill out a recipe card,then tote it to your wedding? Weddings are not suppose to be work for the guests. Sorry.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 28, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

How incredibly annoying. First I have to decide on a dish, let you know what it is, make it, fill out a recipe card,then tote it to your wedding? Weddings are not suppose to be work for the guests. Sorry.

luckily your not my family huh? its only 30 people,so difficult to make something simple

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 28, 2013 at 5:36 PM
4 moms liked this
Very tacky! Why not just ask a couple close family memebers to help make dishes? That's what we did. We bought the main dish and my MIL and my dad helped with drinks, cake and side dishes. I don't mind potluck bday parties or other get togethers but weddings that's a big NO!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 28, 2013 at 5:37 PM
5 moms liked this

As long as it is not a super fancy wedding, but a more casual one, then I see nothing wrong with the way that you worded it above.  If people are your close friends/family, they won't mind.  And if they do, then they probably aren't all that close to you anyway. :)

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jun. 28, 2013 at 5:37 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

luckily your not my family huh? its only 30 people,so difficult to make something simple

I don't want to feed 30 of your guests. that is your job.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 28, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Very tacky! Why not just ask a couple close family memebers to help make dishes? That's what we did. We bought the main dish and my MIL and my dad helped with drinks, cake and side dishes. I don't mind potluck bday parties or other get togethers but weddings that's a big NO!

only family members are going to be there,its a backyard thing to so its not fancy like the crap you see nowadays

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 28, 2013 at 5:39 PM
Great idea for a bridal shower, terrible idea for a wedding. However, if that is what you need to do, I would just ask people for help ahead of time and leave it off the invitation.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 28, 2013 at 5:40 PM
4 moms liked this
Even with 30 people it is tacky and rude. If you can't afford to make food for 30 people yourself then you should not have a wedding.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 28, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Mine wasn't fancy either but I still provided food. It just seema wrong but you know your family better than we do. GL!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

only family members are going to be there,its a backyard thing to so its not fancy like the crap you see nowadays

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN