Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
I'm super confused- hoping some of you are on "the in" and can help.
Hubby and I have recently adopted a soldier to support. We read through the list of items to send and I'm in shock...
We assumed the soldiers (and we may be correct) would be interested in receiving certain hygiene products and treats (gum, cookies, whatever) however we weren't expecting to see sheets, t-shirts, coffee makers, flash lights, socks, tape, water purification tabs, etc. doesn't the gov provide this stuff?? I was seriously outraged thinking how cheap our gov was... Then hubby pointed out that the gov probably provides some of these things but they are low quality etc. *shrugs* I dunno...

I've emailed our soldier and asked him specifically what he would like since his original list was very broad.
We did have fun shopping for him today. Hoping we hit a few of his needs as well as wants.

I also wished to extend my appreciation to his wife by sending her a gift basket or gift card etc.
I haven't read anything about the soldiers wives/husbands at home so I'm hoping I didn't step out of bounds there????

:confused:
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Replies (21-30):
3xangel
by *Angelicious* on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:41 AM
2 moms liked this
Wow, please make sure you are not being scammed. Some of the things on the list they should have received, have at the local shopette, or they could just order it online themselves... Majority of these soldiers are getting per diem, hostile fire pay, family separation pay, etc so they should be more than capable of buying things like coffee maker, white tee's, sheets, etc for themselves.

When I sent my dh and battle buddy boxes they usually just wanted certain snacks the small shopette didn't carry, newly released movies/books, certain name brand personal/toiletry items and other things of that nature. I think it's ridiculous for them to ask for the things they could buy themselves, though.

Anyways...

Just buy whatever you're comfortable getting. If they aren't trying to scam or use you, they will be happy with whatever they receive. I know from experience that the fact someone was thinking of me was way more important than what they actually sent :-).

Kudos to you for looking out for a troop *thumbs up*
weezer_cookie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this
They get tons of junk food, but the PX is usually limited and expensive!

He could be asking for friends who don't get mail. My mom sent my battle buddy a letter because she didn't get any mail. She cried when she read my mother's letter :/
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:45 AM
2 moms liked this
As a former.army wife I just wanted to say thank you. Our troops need those little boosts. You are so awesome :)
Foxilady
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:10 AM
I should clarify that our soldier has only requested hard candies/treats, football and hygiene items. (List he made when he signed up I imagine)
The items I mentioned were in the websites "acceptable to send" category.
I'm happy to help out in ways that will benefit him and his wife the most. However I was told my soldier was in a remote location and may not be able to respond to letters/email.
So until I receive a list of his wants & needs I'm stuck going off the website list.

Hopefully he receives the package wherever he is...

My husband was past military (not USA) his country provided pretty much everything on the list bar junk food. hearing further news about the cheapness of our country has only increased his desire to do more. So we are definitely happy to provide assistance. :)

For those of you interested we joined www.adoptaussoldier.org. The thought it might be a scam had never entered our mind.
militlady
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:31 AM
That site is legitimate. I am so glad that you are so excited to.help our soldiers. Being retired from the army I know first hand that anything you send will be appreciated. I was In charge of the dining facility, and we served over 5000 soldiers per meal. They were very well fed. One thing that we received that no one really thinks about is good toilet paper. The toilet paper that they had there was scratchy and very thin. :)
Val99
by Ruby Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Our government is cheap because they don't provide every soldier with a coffee maker for next to his bunk?  o.O

Foxilady
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:02 PM
If that's how you choose to view my comments- then by all means....

Quoting Val99:

Our government is cheap because they don't provide every soldier with a coffee maker for next to his bunk?  o.O

Foxilady
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:03 PM
TP :) would never think to ship THAT hehe.

Quoting militlady:

That site is legitimate. I am so glad that you are so excited to.help our soldiers. Being retired from the army I know first hand that anything you send will be appreciated. I was In charge of the dining facility, and we served over 5000 soldiers per meal. They were very well fed. One thing that we received that no one really thinks about is good toilet paper. The toilet paper that they had there was scratchy and very thin. :)

ilovemy3boys
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:06 PM

our guys had bare bones where they were. I szent mine towels, toothbrush hygeine items. socks tshirts, instant coffee, water boiler, stuff like that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

You buy your own sheets, t-shirts, socks, tape, flash lights, etc. The military provides you with a clothing allowance/uniform allowance to buy things like shirts and socks with, they make coffee in the galley every day, and they provide you with clean water. Why would the military provide those things for him? They pay him twice a month already he should be able to get some things for himself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN