Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm super confused- hoping some of you are on "the in" and can help.
Hubby and I have recently adopted a soldier to support. We read through the list of items to send and I'm in shock...
We assumed the soldiers (and we may be correct) would be interested in receiving certain hygiene products and treats (gum, cookies, whatever) however we weren't expecting to see sheets, t-shirts, coffee makers, flash lights, socks, tape, water purification tabs, etc. doesn't the gov provide this stuff?? I was seriously outraged thinking how cheap our gov was... Then hubby pointed out that the gov probably provides some of these things but they are low quality etc. *shrugs* I dunno...

I've emailed our soldier and asked him specifically what he would like since his original list was very broad.
We did have fun shopping for him today. Hoping we hit a few of his needs as well as wants.

I also wished to extend my appreciation to his wife by sending her a gift basket or gift card etc.
I haven't read anything about the soldiers wives/husbands at home so I'm hoping I didn't step out of bounds there????

:confused:
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Replies (31-40):
SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Ditto--my spouse is NG but the support they got from the comunity in sending them gifts and things to do (books, crossword puzzles, one lady sent a little kids fishing game that they LOVED), batteries etc....but he liked the letters the most. When he came home I wrote every single person back who sent him a letter thanking them for it.

Quoting Anonymous:

As a former.army wife I just wanted to say thank you. Our troops need those little boosts. You are so awesome :)

Foxilady
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this
My husband and I obviously view our service men and women differently than you.

These soldiers are prepared to pay the ultimate price to keep our country safe. In our opinion they are over worked, underpaid and made to carry heavy burdons (as does their loved ones)

Our family will gladly help in any way- even if the American government gives then a stipend to buy sheets...

Quoting Anonymous:

You buy your own sheets, t-shirts, socks, tape, flash lights, etc. The military provides you with a clothing allowance/uniform allowance to buy things like shirts and socks with, they make coffee in the galley every day, and they provide you with clean water. Why would the military provide those things for him? They pay him twice a month already he should be able to get some things for himself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol, My DH is in the U.S. Navy and has been since right after we got married we started off with E-1 pay and have moved up since then. They are not underpaid, even if they are it's not like you don't know how much you'll be getting anyway there are pay charts available everywhere. The servicemen (and their families) sign up for those "heavy burdens" and knew what they were getting into beforehand. They get paid to do their jobs and with their pay the government expects them to buy their own sheets that's really not a huge deal to me. God ahead and help if you want but I don't think it's some huge travesty that they have to purchase their own socks (with their government clothing allowance.)

Quoting Foxilady:

These soldiers are prepared to pay the ultimate price to keep our country safe. In our opinion they are over worked, underpaid and made to carry heavy burdons (as does their loved ones)

Our family will gladly help in any way- even if the American government gives then a stipend to buy sheets...

Quoting Anonymous:

You buy your own sheets, t-shirts, socks, tape, flash lights, etc. The military provides you with a clothing allowance/uniform allowance to buy things like shirts and socks with, they make coffee in the galley every day, and they provide you with clean water. Why would the military provide those things for him? They pay him twice a month already he should be able to get some things for himself.

Foxilady
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:47 PM
To each their own hun....

& you missed the entire point of my post.
It was about showing appreciation- and in the most beneficial way possible.
Bitching about the gov was just a perk ;p

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol, My DH is in the U.S. Navy and has been since right after we got married we started off with E-1 pay and have moved up since then. They are not underpaid, even if they are it's not like you don't know how much you'll be getting anyway there are pay charts available everywhere. The servicemen (and their families) sign up for those "heavy burdens" and knew what they were getting into beforehand. They get paid to do their jobs and with their pay the government expects them to buy their own sheets that's really not a huge deal to me. God ahead and help if you want but I don't think it's some huge travesty that they have to purchase their own socks (with their government clothing allowance.)

Quoting Foxilady:

Quoting Anonymous:

besosfantasies
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:53 PM

What most people do not know, is that the military doesn't get paid as GREAT as most people think! OP I think you're wonderful for helping out!

Quoting Foxilady:

Quoting Anonymous:

besosfantasies
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Dh would wear black or tan socks. Have you tried a local army surplus store?

Quoting Foxilady:

Tan shirts- socks as well?
Goodness.... I suppose those are easily found on base but where on earth can I find plain tan t-shirts. :(

Quoting besosfantasies:

Tan while in Afghan :) & truly he just might love the junk food, because like you said - you don't know how remote he is. He may not be able to get to a BX or they may not sell what he truly likes. I always sent the mios for the water, beef jerky, and little snacks that I know he liked.

Quoting Foxilady:

I did buy hand sanitizer and wee sanitizing wipes (wrapped individually for his pack)
I read that liquid sanitizing was a no no because it gets muddy- so that was an oops and will stay home I suppose. :(

Reading these comments- I might chuck out the junk food and replace with articles of clothing.
Can anyone specify if green and tan are the ONLY color used in afghan??? Hubby can get stacks of white socks and shirts at work for free :)

I have no idea how remote he is- just that he is in afghan.

I'm glad sending his wife gifts isn't classed as a no-no. I hope he allows me too. Was really hoping to get her something for the 4th... Hoping we hear from him soon! :)

our.love.story
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

That is AMAZING of you!! Some of the troops are going without things like good and the gear they need to stay safe and do their jobs, it doesn't surprise me they need this stuff. We buy all my husband's shirts, hygiene, etc. you are beyond sweet for doing that and then also including his wife! I'm seriously in tears over here thinking how wonderful that solider and his wife will feel knowing someone back home thought of both of them. Thank you for that. 

VannaMae307
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

when mine deployed he wanted baby wipes, foot powder, butt powder, and socks, They sweat through their socks like crazy.

mine gets some of those things but you're right, they're crappy quality. Soldiers can buy higher priced versions of the stuff they get issued, out of their own pocket. Nobody really does though, at least not that I have seen. He gets a clothing allowance once a year and it barely covers 2 new uniforms.

I know his wife will enjoy the basket. I know I would!

.Zombie.Girl.
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

DH loved to get hygiene products, socks, underwear, junk food and wet wipes.

our.love.story
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, as far as the "allowance" for uniform and such...I believe we got $155 this past year...that to replace a uniform (I honestly can't tell you how much they are, hubby bought it) new shirts, socks, and boots. Yup, I know I can't buy all the clothing I'll need in a year with $155!! Oh, and when my husband got overseas earlier this year, I had to send sheets and a pillow because they didn't have them either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured