Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
I'm super confused- hoping some of you are on "the in" and can help.
Hubby and I have recently adopted a soldier to support. We read through the list of items to send and I'm in shock...
We assumed the soldiers (and we may be correct) would be interested in receiving certain hygiene products and treats (gum, cookies, whatever) however we weren't expecting to see sheets, t-shirts, coffee makers, flash lights, socks, tape, water purification tabs, etc. doesn't the gov provide this stuff?? I was seriously outraged thinking how cheap our gov was... Then hubby pointed out that the gov probably provides some of these things but they are low quality etc. *shrugs* I dunno...

I've emailed our soldier and asked him specifically what he would like since his original list was very broad.
We did have fun shopping for him today. Hoping we hit a few of his needs as well as wants.

I also wished to extend my appreciation to his wife by sending her a gift basket or gift card etc.
I haven't read anything about the soldiers wives/husbands at home so I'm hoping I didn't step out of bounds there????

:confused:
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Replies (41-50):
TishHughes
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this

The government supplies coffee makers? Yes, but they can but that's not a necessity. T-shirts? Yes. Flashlights? Yes. Tape? Yes. Water purification tabs? Yes, they're called 92W. Sheets? Not in combat.

It seems the things he's asking for are either things that he can't buy because his PX doesn't have them or he's at a place where there is no PX. He's asking for some weird stuff and my opinion is that he doesn't want to buy that stuff because he could always go to Amazon or Drugstore.com. But to answer your question, the military doesn't issue you coffee makers. They issue things that you need. If he needs t-shirts that bad, he can order them through ADO. I'm not even understanding why he's asking this stuff of you if he has a wife.

.Zombie.Girl.
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Also when they're overseas a lot of time they don't have time or a place to go to for those things. Sometimes they go weeks without a day off, I guess some people don't realize that. 

Quoting besosfantasies:

What most people do not know, is that the military doesn't get paid as GREAT as most people think! OP I think you're wonderful for helping out!

Quoting Foxilady:

My husband and I obviously view our service men and women differently than you.

These soldiers are prepared to pay the ultimate price to keep our country safe. In our opinion they are over worked, underpaid and made to carry heavy burdons (as does their loved ones)

Our family will gladly help in any way- even if the American government gives then a stipend to buy sheets...

Quoting Anonymous:

You buy your own sheets, t-shirts, socks, tape, flash lights, etc. The military provides you with a clothing allowance/uniform allowance to buy things like shirts and socks with, they make coffee in the galley every day, and they provide you with clean water. Why would the military provide those things for him? They pay him twice a month already he should be able to get some things for himself.

.Zombie.Girl.
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this

And thank you op, that is so sweet of you to do. I know DH and his shipmates loved when they got care packages in. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this

First, how generous and nice of you to do things for our troops! Thank YOU, I'm sure they will be really thankful.

Second, the government issues you your first uniforms but underwear, toiletries, etc. you buy with your own money. They give an allowance yearly for uniforms but uniforms are very expensive, the allowance isnt very much and I hardly notice when my husband gets his.The government has priorities... sending Obama to Africa and costing tax payers millions is more of a priority then supplying toilatries to our troops. Oh yea, I went there.

2nthensome
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this
This. Soldiers don't get this stuff and some babses have cut down to only two meals a day, sometimes one. After I got out, I've sent care packages to friends over seas. I sent toiletries and stuff but made sure to put in home made stuff for my fried and her entire work space. And baby wipes since they were put on water restrictions.

Quoting kapzilla:

Nope, we were never issued that type of stuff when deployed.  We had to either buy it with our own money or have it sent to us.

As for a typical care package cards, puzzle books (crossword and stuff like that), beef jerky, baby wipes, flea collars and water tablets.  Those were the biggest hits when I was over seas.

As for the spouses at home, we really don't expect anything like that.  It's totally up to you on that part.  That is a very generous gesture. :)

ETA:  Ask him where he is and what type of facilities they have.  Razors are very appreciated by most male service members, because they are expensive!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:13 PM

He asked for this stuff because he was replying to be asked what he wanted/needed. Would it have been better if he asked for Twinkies and ho hos? These are the things he really wanted/needed to make his quality of life better. Why are you criticizing him or her?

Quoting TishHughes:

The government supplies coffee makers? Yes, but they can but that's not a necessity. T-shirts? Yes. Flashlights? Yes. Tape? Yes. Water purification tabs? Yes, they're called 92W. Sheets? Not in combat.

It seems the things he's asking for are either things that he can't buy because his PX doesn't have them or he's at a place where there is no PX. He's asking for some weird stuff and my opinion is that he doesn't want to buy that stuff because he could always go to Amazon or Drugstore.com. But to answer your question, the military doesn't issue you coffee makers. They issue things that you need. If he needs t-shirts that bad, he can order them through ADO. I'm not even understanding why he's asking this stuff of you if he has a wife.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Foxilady, in reading your replies I think you and your husband are pretty amazing. Bless you!

TishHughes
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

He asked for this stuff because he was replying to be asked what he wanted/needed. Would it have been better if he asked for Twinkies and ho hos? These are the things he really wanted/needed to make his quality of life better. Why are you criticizing him or her?

Quoting TishHughes:

Because I can criticize if I want to.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:29 PM

You sound like a toddler...

Quoting TishHughes:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting TishHughes:

TishHughes
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this

And you sound like an overbearing bitch.

Quoting Anonymous:

You sound like a toddler...

Quoting TishHughes:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting TishHughes:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)