Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

House Rules and Parents

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies

So, my husband and I bought new furniture for our house recently and we had a get together with both his family and mine. When we bought the new furniture we decided that there was no eating or drinking on it. So, we put out extra tables and chairs for everyone and let everyone know that there was plenty of seats and to please not eat or drink on the furniture.

So, everyone was fine with this, with the exception of my Mother, who proceeded to sit on the couch and eat, when I said something she informed me that she gave birth to me and she can sit on the couch if she wants. She has been over since then and did the same thing. I will probably not have anymore get togethers with my side of the family just to avoid the situation all together.

I realize that this is petty but it is my house and I feel like it is completely disrespectful of my Mom to not go by the rules of my house, not to mention the message that it sends to my kids who are banned from eating on the furniture (we eat at the table when it is the family). I thought that she would understand because she just bought a new vehicle that no one is allowed to eat or drink anything but water in. She said that it is different because she is our Mother (I am 32 by the way).

She says that I am being ridiculous and that she is my Mother so she will do what she wants. So, I guess I am kind of wondering whether I am being ridiculous or if it seems disrespectful to anyone else?

Edit - just to clear up my statement...my Mom feels that I am being ridiculous by asking her to follow my rules not that I do not want anyone to eat/drink on our furniture. 

No, I do not think that my Mom would purposely spill anything on my furniture, we made the rule to avoid accidents.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
csxt99
by Jennifer on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Your mom sounds like a disrespectful bitch.

GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I would've asked her nicely to move if she didnt I would've taken what she was eating/drinking and thrown it out.

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:53 AM

She was rude and that comment is just over the top. It's YOUR house and she should respect you, which she clearly does not. 

paganmommy4
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Funny thing about growing up, its not HER house its YOURS and if she has no respect for your rules she can leave. Im sure its the same with how parents treat their kids ( my house, my rules)

lilyrose842006
by Lily & Audrey's Mom on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:53 AM
It is disrespectful of your mom to act like that. Maybe you should politely ask that she set a better example for your child(ren) about repecting the house rules.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:53 AM

I think it's ridiculous.  You buy furniture to be used, not to be museum pieces you can look at, but not live on.

MicheleJM
by Phoenix on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:55 AM

I think it's disrespectful.

My mother wouldn't want me eating on her furniture so I'd expect the same from her.

diaperstodating
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Quoting lilyrose842006:

It is disrespectful of your mom to act like that. Maybe you should politely ask that she set a better example for your child(ren) about repecting the house rules.

QuirkyMom26
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:59 AM
4 moms liked this

That's what a kitchen or dining room table is for.  I wouldn't want food stuck in my couch that I sit and rest on.  That's gross.   I wonder what your furniture looks like.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's ridiculous.  You buy furniture to be used, not to be museum pieces you can look at, but not live on.

MicheleJM
by Phoenix on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Point is she kindly asked her mom to do something and Mom refused.

Other than popcorn I don't like people eating on my furniture either.  Crumbs fall into the cushions and guess who gets to vaccum it out.  Soda gets spilled.  It's not like my furniture is beautiful but still.  Besides until I got an exterminator we had a very bad ant problem and eating in the living room just made it worse.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)