Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I guess he'll starve.

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:44 AM
  • 28 Replies
Of course I'd never let a child starve BUT. My nephew is really testing my patience this morning. My niece and nephew ( 9 and 7) slept over last night. This morning I asked them and my own 2 oldest ( 3 and 5) would all like for breakfast and gave them some options. They all agreed on pancakes. So I made pancakes and put out fresh fruit salad and also bacon. They were sitting eating and chatting about how we will be going to the beach this afternoon. I saw my nephew sitting not eating and pouting. I asked what was wrong. He said. " I hate these pancakes. I need something else." If it was MY kid well you eat what I give you. But it's not so I wanted to make sure he ate. I suggested the fruit and he declined. I gave other options. I said I have bagels and cereal. He chose cereal. I had him come in the pantry to choose. He got very upset and said " I don't like any of these!" I suggested the bagel again. He said fine. So he sits down, I got him to eat a little fruit as I cut and toasted his bagel. He said he'd like cream cheese and so I put it on for him. He took a bit and got upset. He said it tasted funny. Then he got up from the table and threw himself on the couch in the family room and said he wasn't eating.

So I should say the bagel was whole wheat, the pancakes were buckwheat. And the cereals were not sugary. "Kid cereal". But my 9 yr old Niece said "Zia ( aunt in Italian) I love this breakfast. I like the pancakes". So yes my kids are used to it but she's not and she was fine. And honestly it's not like its so different then regular pancakes or bagel that it was " disgusting" as he complained. Then he told me "next time i come get food i like Zia!" Wow. i would hope my kids would never behave that way in someone's house. If you don't like something you politely say no thank you. Not have a fit and throw yourself around. So now I have a little grump on my hands all day. I just left a banana and granola bar on the table. I'm over it.

Update: when I came downstairs from changing the baby he was eating the banana and granola bar like a happy little camper. I packed snacks for them to take to the beach this afternoon and had him help me so I knew there would be something he'd like. He chose goldfish crackers and some watermelon. Perfect!
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HelenaHanbasket
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:47 AM
3 moms liked this
He won't starve. If he's hungry he'll eat. I'm all for giving kids options but once the food is on the table the time to change their minds is over. I think you were more then accommodating. He's lucky I'm not his Zia. :-)
eblstanford03
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM
I wouldn't go out of my way for him. He will eat when he gets hungry enough. He is behaving like a spoiled brat.

I would make sure his parents know how he is behaving though. And if he were my nephew, he get punished for such rude & disrespectful behavior.
SJG1013
by SJG on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM
I would of told him that's not how you speak to me, In this house we use manners.
Anonandon
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
What a brat. I agree with your title, guess he'll starve. Does he talk to his parents like that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChloeDolce1
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I said exactly that and told him if he did t stop it I would bring him back home and he wouldn't go to the beach. That simmered him down a little and that's when I put the banana and granola bar on the table and took the baby upstairs to change. When I came back down he was eating them.

Quoting SJG1013:

I would of told him that's not how you speak to me, In this house we use manners.

ChloeDolce1
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:54 AM
To his mother yes. She lets them run the house. They have very little discipline.

Quoting Anonandon:

What a brat. I agree with your title, guess he'll starve. Does he talk to his parents like that?

norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:55 AM
He is just unhappy because he isn used to those flavors. Adults have sort of deadened taste buds compared to kids. The difference in taste between white flour pancakes and buckwheat is really big!! Same with bagels. Your kids are used to it.

That being said, he won't starve and he has plenty of options. You put good healthy food in front if him and that's all you can do. I would just explain that different food isn't necessarily bad food and you don't have the kind he normally eats and that he will be hungry all day if he chooses to not eat what you have.
luckysevenwow
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:59 AM

My friends son was the most picky little guy, some of this was his parents, but when at my house I'd always make sure there was something I knew he would eat. He was still required to try what I cooked though. They were always surprised what he would eat here, but if they tried to give him it at home he wouldn't touch it. They tend to be pretty boring eaters, and don't really venture out of the meat, potato, veggie mindset. 

He was being a brat, but you handled it fine. He will eat when he is hungry.

Anonandon
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:00 AM
That's awful. That's how my cousin's older kids are and she's trying to break them of it, but after you let the kids run the house, it's really hard to kill the power trip.

Quoting ChloeDolce1:

To his mother yes. She lets them run the house. They have very little discipline.

Quoting Anonandon:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yayay15
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:02 AM
My niece does this. I don't put up with it. I made bagels...she only eats Einstein bagels. I made fresh waffles...she only eats FROZEN waffles. Lol. I DO NOT make her anything else. She cries and then wants to go home. No, sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)