Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Did I have a concern here or am I just paranoid?

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:17 PM
  • 68 Replies

So we moved into this new house and haven't gotten around to getting a washer and dryer yet. We go to the laundry mat. 

We (my five year old son and I) went there earlier today. These two guys came in. I thought nothing of it. They were black. When I say black I mean they weren't from America. The one that was talking to me told me where he was from, but I couldn't really understand. He had a thick accent and spoke French. So somewhere in Africa. He came over and started asking me about how much the dryers were. Then the he asked me about what my major was-wasn't freaky that he knew I went to that school, I was wearing a college t-shirt. I explained that I graduated and have my Master's.  He says he's an engineer, either going or teaching at the school, I couldnt' understand what he said. 

Anyways, there's a lot of small talk. Then he asks me if I'm married. I told him no. I then mention that I don't want to get married. He said, "You're the prettiest American I''ve met that has ever said that.' I thought, really?! Than you're looking at some weird Americans. 

This whole time he's talking to me my son is talking to his friend on the other end of the room. I asked him if my son was bothering them, and that I'd tell him to stop. He says no that he enjoys talking to kids. 

My problem is, I got this really weird feeling from it. I felt like he was distracting me so the friend can kidnapp my son, or us both. I ended up calling my mom and making my son talk to her for thirty minutes until I was done (there was no one else there but us four). 

I kinda feel like an asshole. I really hope he was legitimently trying to be nice and innocently flirting instead of something more. He even helped me put my baskets in my car. Just picked them up and followed me there without me asking. 

I just got this really weird vibe. Maybe it's cause he was hitting on me with my son there, or that I don't think a laundry mat is an ok place to hit on someone (I'm folding my underwear for Christ sake!). But do you think I was right to be weirded out and protective? 

I should add, I'm paranoid about the most irrational things, and those fears are heightend when I'm stressed, and the laundry mat stresses me out every time we go. 

by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:19 PM
3 moms liked this

That is rather weird. I would of been freaked out too..that's creepy.

Laundry mats always scare me for some reason.

SaratheV
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:22 PM
I've been skeptical for a long time. I don't think I'll be going back.
Quoting Jessy613:

Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:23 PM

You shouldn't.

That is way creepy.

Quoting SaratheV:

I've been skeptical for a long time. I don't think I'll be going back.
Quoting Jessy613:

ksueditz
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:25 PM

i always get freaked out when i go to the laundromat also. idk what it is about a laundromat, kind of like being at a gas station in the middle of nowhere after dark.

LilliesValley
4 moms liked this

You have a mommy gut for a reason and it's seldom wrong. My kid wouldn't have been that far away from me though. Gotta follow your instincts and not feel at all bad about it. Your number one priority is your kid.

paganmommy4

You were right to be paranoid ( not about skin color involvement) but something wasnt right at all

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:27 PM

OMG back in the day the laundromat was THE place for people to meet, mingle and eventually start relationships!

mom2priceboys
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:27 PM

If you are nervous then honor it - are you worried you were nervus because they were two men and you and your son? or was it a color issue? or no reason - just nervous becasue you're a nervus girl?? None the less, it sounds like you handles it well!!

Ali32
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Doesn't sound creepy to me. But if you felt creeped out then maybe something was going on. Since they were foreign, maybe the way they acted was different than Americans and that is what bothered you? Sometimes people from other cultures have different ways in which they interact with people, not that its wrong or anything, just different. Maybe that's what you were picking up on? 

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Always Go with your "mothers instinct"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN