Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

We struggled and fought damn hard to get where we are

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:53 PM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this

So no, I'm not going feel bad for talking about remodeling our bathroom thank you very much! 

I was talking to a co-worker about how difficult it has been sharing a bathroom with 4 other people (3 of them teens) for the past few weeks and another co-worker spouts off "oh how sad, the problems of rich people!". Really?  DH and I have been married almost 20 years and we have had our share of struggles, we've been on PA, used food stamps for a bit, we know what it's like to be poor.  BUT....we've also fought damn hard to make a better life for ourselves and while we're not rich by any means, yes, we do have the money to remodel out bathroom.  Why do others have to take the joy away from someone else?

Vent over.

by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Because jealousy is an ugly monster.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Yes, sounds like my sister. She accused me of marrying rich , lol like 35k/yr is really rich.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I know people are struggling and I try to be sensitive to it but that "first world problems" line is starting to irritate me. 

BEXi
by BEXi on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

They can only take the joy out of it if you let them. And you did..

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Because their life sucks and they want to bring you down to their level...Ignore the assphats

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Lol, we only make a little more than that, but with only one child and the deal we got to build our house our bills are so minimal that we are pretty comfortable.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, sounds like my sister. She accused me of marrying rich , lol like 35k/yr is really rich.

froglover1972
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:59 PM

It sucks when others can be happy for others. I have a neighbor that acted the same way when Hubby and I remodeled our kitchen. I guess in the future when this co-worker talks to you about something personal you can either give them a taste of their own medicine and reply to them in the same manner or just accept that some people have the inability to be happy for others and be happy for the great strides and accomplishments that you and your hubby have worked hard for. CONGRATS on the new bathroom remodel

spooky415
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Maybe they were having a difficult time making their bills and you just hit them on a bad day.

Yes, you've worked hard and certainly deserve to use your money as you wish but maybe they're in a tough spot and it hurts them to hear about something like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SnapIt
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Maybe to them since they are struggling it may seem
Like youre bragging

Remember being poor and you use to hear those who were doin really well talk about what they bought, built, got....
Im sure sometimes you felt rhe same way. Maybe you didnt say it, but inside you may have thought for a split sec,... Shut up and stop bragging...
Who cares...,,
No one wants to hear about your damn......

Even if you know you werent bragging to some they think you are
sendsun
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I understand she probably is in a tight spot, but that doesn't give her the right to be a bitch about it.  We've been where she is, I understand not having money to pay for bills, but since she put that out there I feel like I can't share my excitement over a new bathroom, that I might offend someone else.  I don't like feeling like that.

Quoting spooky415:

Maybe they were having a difficult time making their bills and you just hit them on a bad day.

Yes, you've worked hard and certainly deserve to use your money as you wish but maybe they're in a tough spot and it hurts them to hear about something like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)