Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Wills

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:26 PM
  • 7 Replies
I have complete full custody of my dd. Her father is in prison and will be there for another 4 years. She really does not know him at all. If I were to die she is to live with my mother. Can I do that? Or will he get custody and decide where she will live?
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:27 PM

If hes in prison you can, but once he's out and has legal claim he can petition for custody and as sole living parent he's likely to get it unless he can be proven unable to care for her.

Your best bet is to talk to him now, when he's down and out, offer him smokes or something to sign away his rights, once he does that, she's all yours.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:28 PM

It would depend on what your state laws are and if he has lost  his parental rights for the child. You should really consult a family law attorney in your area

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:28 PM

also put your mother as beneficiary on your life insurance, and give her enough to have finances to raise your daughter, it would help in the courts, especially if your baby daddy has little or no income.

LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:36 PM
The goal would be if I were dead and my mother has her...she would fly to India for dd to gradually become used to her father...eventually moving to be with him. That is the plan now. He would never sign away the rights to his child. He made a horrible mistake but he loves her.

Quoting Anonymous:

If hes in prison you can, but once he's out and has legal claim he can petition for custody and as sole living parent he's likely to get it unless he can be proven unable to care for her.

Your best bet is to talk to him now, when he's down and out, offer him smokes or something to sign away his rights, once he does that, she's all yours.

LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:36 PM
My mother is beneficiary.

Quoting Anonymous:

also put your mother as beneficiary on your life insurance, and give her enough to have finances to raise your daughter, it would help in the courts, especially if your baby daddy has little or no income.

LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:38 PM
I was afraid of that.

Honestly, he would pick my mother. He loves my mom. I'm actually more afraid of his family. They have a lot of money...millions and millions. I'm scared that once I am out of the way they might butt in.

Quoting Sassy762:

It would depend on what your state laws are and if he has lost  his parental rights for the child. You should really consult a family law attorney in your area

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Then please consult with an Attorney and see what can be worked out. IF if he is agreeable,then something should be worked out and put down in writing....Good Luck

Quoting LaughCryLive:

I was afraid of that.

Honestly, he would pick my mother. He loves my mom. I'm actually more afraid of his family. They have a lot of money...millions and millions. I'm scared that once I am out of the way they might butt in.

Quoting Sassy762:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN