Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

would this concern you? or do you think it's just him being stubborn?

Posted by   + Show Post
My 3 year old threw up tonight at dinner.

He was eating, took a drink to swallow his food and then threw up.

He rarely eats, unless it's junk food like cookies, cake, ice cream, popsicles, etc. If its real food he looks at it, sometimes takes a bite and then says he is full.

Tonight was a whole new level. He was sitting there at the table, looked at his food and said he was full and wanted a cupcake. We told him that he could have a cupcake if he finished his dinner. He tried, but didn't make it.
He made it five little bites in, took a drink gagged, took another drink and threw up.

Would this concern you? Or do you think it's just him being stubborn?
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Replies (31-40):
blue_elephant
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Once a month if that. They don't go often but when they do she feeds them full of junk the entire time she has them.

Quoting momtolittleg:

You've got some serious food issues in your house, with a raider and a puker. If he's getting junk at grandma's you're gonna have to stop that until you get him back on track.   How often is he at grandma's?

Quoting blue_elephant:

We do the take it or leave it rule, never any exceptions. They don't want to eat, that's fine but they aren't getting anything else to eat. He is not bothered by this rule.

We rarely have junk food in the house, when he goes to my moms its jUnk food non stop, whenever they point they get. But not at home.

I'm at a loss, I've tried everything and nothing works...

And my cupboards, fridge, pantry, and anywhere else food is, is locked because my 5 year old raids everything, so my 3 year old can't be stealing food, because it's all locked up...

Quoting LilliesValley:

He must be getting it more than you think then. have you discussed with his doc about it? I'd let him be full but if need be, nothing in between meals. Eventually he will get hungry. Make sure he's not sneaking food too. My bil had a problem with their oldest to the point they had to lock food up. Food at meals until he starts eating at meals routinely. Keep a food diary for him and take it to the doc in a few weeks. he may have some sort of sensitivity or texture issue but mltn he's just a kid wanting sweets. He thinks you won't lt him go hungry or starve or follow through. Show him differently. Everyone who comes to the house will need to know not to feed him though in between meals and that sort of thing. It's probably not a eating disorder or texture issue at this point but more so a battle of wills. He wants to be in control. We have two choices for dinner, take it or leave it. If you don't take it then you wait until the next meal normally (I've had an exception or two at times where the plate will go in the fridge, but again it doesn't get heated up then). probably just need to come down on him really hard and quick. But you want to get it under control because you don't want it to develop into a food disorder or something. Best of luck.

Quoting blue_elephant:

We generally don't have junk in the house, but my birthday was Tuesday, so we had cake, my mom brought over cupcakes, and kids and I baked cookies and cinnamon rolls, because my older kids were bummed because their dad didn't want to take them.

I'm just at a loss, this kid will not eat, I've tried giving him his food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if he didn't eat it the night before. He will say he is full every time.

I'm not sure how this child is still alive, in complete honesty. He weighs 31 pounds and has weighed that since he was 2. I don't get it...

Quoting LilliesValley:

Umm I think until he was eating regular food properly he'd be completely out of luck for cookies, icecream and whatever other junk was around. He won't starve and if he's taking everything to a whole new level of throwing up from regular food he could be on his way to an eating disorder. Regular meals with healthy snack in between for a week or two and then the occassional treat. Moderation is the key. Missing one or two meals won't kill him, and if you have to, save his dinner plate in the fridge (although I don't reheat food then, you get it cold). You need to get him to start eating regular food routinely without complaint or reward and then worry about adding/giving junk.

blue_elephant
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:28 PM
He only goes maybe once a month, but when they do go over there they get junk food the entire time they are there.

Quoting LilliesValley:

Then I'd make a doctor's appointment for tow to three weeks out from monday. Then keep a food journal for 2-3 weeks and take it with you. And mom would have to change what she's doing or he wouldn't be going there. If there is a medical problem you need everyone on board. Does he go to your mom's often? Maybe that's part of the problem. I mean if he's eating two bites at a meal for two or three days and that's all he's eating then something is really wrong. But if he's getting snacks and more treats (even at grandma's) then that may be part of the answer. Maybe no grandma's for two weeks while you journal and see if he improves and then docotor's visit.

Quoting blue_elephant:

We do the take it or leave it rule, never any exceptions. They don't want to eat, that's fine but they aren't getting anything else to eat. He is not bothered by this rule.

We rarely have junk food in the house, when he goes to my moms its jUnk food non stop, whenever they point they get. But not at home.

And my cupboards, fridge, pantry, and anywhere else food is, is locked because my 5 year old raids everything, so my 3 year old can't be stealing food, because it's all locked up...

Quoting LilliesValley:

He must be getting it more than you think then. have you discussed with his doc about it? I'd let him be full but if need be, nothing in between meals. Eventually he will get hungry. Make sure he's not sneaking food too. My bil had a problem with their oldest to the point they had to lock food up. Food at meals until he starts eating at meals routinely. Keep a food diary for him and take it to the doc in a few weeks. he may have some sort of sensitivity or texture issue but mltn he's just a kid wanting sweets. He thinks you won't lt him go hungry or starve or follow through. Show him differently. Everyone who comes to the house will need to know not to feed him though in between meals and that sort of thing. It's probably not a eating disorder or texture issue at this point but more so a battle of wills. He wants to be in control. We have two choices for dinner, take it or leave it. If you don't take it then you wait until the next meal normally (I've had an exception or two at times where the plate will go in the fridge, but again it doesn't get heated up then). probably just need to come down on him really hard and quick. But you want to get it under control because you don't want it to develop into a food disorder or something. Best of luck.

Quoting blue_elephant:

We generally don't have junk in the house, but my birthday was Tuesday, so we had cake, my mom brought over cupcakes, and kids and I baked cookies and cinnamon rolls, because my older kids were bummed because their dad didn't want to take them.

I'm just at a loss, this kid will not eat, I've tried giving him his food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if he didn't eat it the night before. He will say he is full every time.

I'm not sure how this child is still alive, in complete honesty. He weighs 31 pounds and has weighed that since he was 2. I don't get it...

Quoting LilliesValley:

Umm I think until he was eating regular food properly he'd be completely out of luck for cookies, icecream and whatever other junk was around. He won't starve and if he's taking everything to a whole new level of throwing up from regular food he could be on his way to an eating disorder. Regular meals with healthy snack in between for a week or two and then the occassional treat. Moderation is the key. Missing one or two meals won't kill him, and if you have to, save his dinner plate in the fridge (although I don't reheat food then, you get it cold). You need to get him to start eating regular food routinely without complaint or reward and then worry about adding/giving junk.

blue_elephant
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:31 PM
That is blatantly obvious!

He was started on good foods and even then he wouldn't eat them, he survived on formula.

Now he survives on cereal, corn dogs, and pb&j's

Quoting Anonymous:

At only 3 yrs old.. he got the taste for junk food somewhere!

I have 3 boys that I started from the beginning only eating good foods. My youngest has the ttendency to like sweets more than the other 2 but he will not get them unless he eats his wholesome meals first.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:31 PM
The 4 year old my mom adopted only eats chips, ice cream, cookies, chicken fries. And drinks coke. If he lived with me he would eat veggies or starve. So if I was you don't let him have sweets at all if he can't eat what y'all eat
blue_elephant
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Once a month if that...

Quoting Anonymous:

I think the answer is right in your reply here.

How often are they at your mother's?

Quoting blue_elephant:

Quoting LilliesValley:

Quoting blue_elephant:

Quoting LilliesValley:

slvr115
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:34 PM
My nephew can make himself throw up. He does it at family functions for attention. It's not full-on puking. More like spitting up the last few bites he took. He's 5...
blue_elephant
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:36 PM
I could be as sneaky as I want with foods and he still won't eat. I've tried telling him broccoli is trees, salad is leaves, etc. He still doesn't eat it.

He survives on cereal, corn dogs, and pb&j's.

Quoting Anonymous:

You're allowing your mother to fill him up with sweets which is causing his eating issues. He wants sweets, nothing but sweets so you need to put a stop to it. Not only is he missing out in the NECESSARY nutrition he needs but his teeth are coated in sugar which will cause problems over time even with a good teeth brushing routine.

Stop all sweets and be creative with your foods. Carrots are sweet tasting cut those into cubes or strings and those can be his sweet snacks. In another reply I said my son is not a good eater, he just isn't, we didn't have the sweets battle but we had a food battle. I got creative, for example, ckn is monster bites, green beans are Dino bites etc. When he eats he is the monster eating all his monster bites or a dinosaur eating his leaves, sandwiches are cut into shapes, food is served in fun things ....... whatever we find that works we do it. He has a big godzilla looking toy that also eats with him, a bite for him and a bite for godzilla. We also sneak in as much nutrition so when he eats less he is still getting as much nutrition as he can. There are lots of recipes online to sneak veggies in to foods.

Quoting blue_elephant:

We haven't seen a nutritionist, his pedi said that he's just picky and to keep trying...

Quoting Anonymous:

What does his pedi say? My ds doesn't eat well at all so he's been on a special diet since he was an infant. We have to get creative with food and getting him to eat it. We don't have junk food in the house, his "cookies" are crackers.

You may have to do the same. I'm sure he's been referred to a nutritionist, what have they said. Have they told you how to dress up his food or create an experience where he thinks he's eating junk food or how to shove as much nutrition in the foods he will eat?

Quoting blue_elephant:

Quoting LilliesValley:

blue_elephant
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:39 PM
This was violent, stomach emptying, exorcism type vomit.
He threw up everything he had eaten that was still in his stomach.

Quoting slvr115:

My nephew can make himself throw up. He does it at family functions for attention. It's not full-on puking. More like spitting up the last few bites he took. He's 5...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:43 PM
My dd was the same. She would eat junk food all day every day and I didn't give her much, it was my sister that did. She would eat some food, but was very very picky. Forget having beans, lentils, or any kind of veggies for dinner. I talked to one of my friends she said she wouldn't feed her kid anything else at all unless he ate the food she made. So it's not like I was restricting the food, it was available, but it had to be what I made for dinner or nothing. They eventually get hungry, people learn to eat anything when they're hungry. At first she would gag, but now she eats everything I make. Yep, even if its a bit spicy.

To me it sounds like your son is manipulating you. If there was really something wrong, he wouldn't ask for the cupcake.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Every kid has "his key" to overcoming things like this. At three he has to have some kind of imagination, some kind of way to use that to get him to eat decent foods. If he can binge on candy clearly he doesn't have an issue with eating in general or textures as sweets have all kinds of textures. He just prefers the sweets.
If you've tried everything like you've said then its time to ask for a nutritionist. They will help you with balancing nutrition with what he will eat. The first thing you need to do is NO JUNK foods. Don't allow them at moms and don't even have them in your house. There is a reason you have two kids with negative eating habits and you need to find out how to overcome them.

Quoting blue_elephant:

I could be as sneaky as I want with foods and he still won't eat. I've tried telling him broccoli is trees, salad is leaves, etc. He still doesn't eat it.

He survives on cereal, corn dogs, and pb&j's.

Quoting Anonymous:

You're allowing your mother to fill him up with sweets which is causing his eating issues. He wants sweets, nothing but sweets so you need to put a stop to it. Not only is he missing out in the NECESSARY nutrition he needs but his teeth are coated in sugar which will cause problems over time even with a good teeth brushing routine.

Stop all sweets and be creative with your foods. Carrots are sweet tasting cut those into cubes or strings and those can be his sweet snacks. In another reply I said my son is not a good eater, he just isn't, we didn't have the sweets battle but we had a food battle. I got creative, for example, ckn is monster bites, green beans are Dino bites etc. When he eats he is the monster eating all his monster bites or a dinosaur eating his leaves, sandwiches are cut into shapes, food is served in fun things ....... whatever we find that works we do it. He has a big godzilla looking toy that also eats with him, a bite for him and a bite for godzilla. We also sneak in as much nutrition so when he eats less he is still getting as much nutrition as he can. There are lots of recipes online to sneak veggies in to foods.

Quoting blue_elephant:

We haven't seen a nutritionist, his pedi said that he's just picky and to keep trying...

Quoting Anonymous:

What does his pedi say? My ds doesn't eat well at all so he's been on a special diet since he was an infant. We have to get creative with food and getting him to eat it. We don't have junk food in the house, his "cookies" are crackers.

You may have to do the same. I'm sure he's been referred to a nutritionist, what have they said. Have they told you how to dress up his food or create an experience where he thinks he's eating junk food or how to shove as much nutrition in the foods he will eat?

Quoting blue_elephant:

Quoting LilliesValley:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN