Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

would this concern you? or do you think it's just him being stubborn?

Posted by   + Show Post
My 3 year old threw up tonight at dinner.

He was eating, took a drink to swallow his food and then threw up.

He rarely eats, unless it's junk food like cookies, cake, ice cream, popsicles, etc. If its real food he looks at it, sometimes takes a bite and then says he is full.

Tonight was a whole new level. He was sitting there at the table, looked at his food and said he was full and wanted a cupcake. We told him that he could have a cupcake if he finished his dinner. He tried, but didn't make it.
He made it five little bites in, took a drink gagged, took another drink and threw up.

Would this concern you? Or do you think it's just him being stubborn?
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Replies (41-50):
blue_elephant
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:45 PM
I don't, he doesn't get rewarded if he doesn't do what he is supposed to do.

When he goes to my moms house she feeds all the kids full of jink, like stomach ache kind of full. But they only go there maybe once a month sometimes not even that.

I've talked to his pedi about this and his pedi told me to just keep trying, and give him what he will eat.

He isn't getting much nutritionally from cereal, corn dogs, and pb&j's, but it's enough to keep him from starving to death I guess.

The pedi also told me that my 5 year old son raiding my cupboards, fridge, pantry, was normal, and he will eat until he vomits and then ask for more and do it again. The pedi said to just limit his food intake, which I do.

Quoting Anonymous:

The 4 year old my mom adopted only eats chips, ice cream, cookies, chicken fries. And drinks coke. If he lived with me he would eat veggies or starve. So if I was you don't let him have sweets at all if he can't eat what y'all eat
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Is he taking a multivitamin  ? 

What about drinks ? Is he very picky with drinks as well. 

I hate to sound mean but do you make foods taste good ? So many children don't eat things like vegetables because they are bland  We use salt , butter and fresh lemon juice. on things steamed broccoli .

Or what about getting him involved with  making meals. Teach him how to crack eggs and scramble them up in the bowl . Or have him peel certain vegetables with your guidance.  Just anything to get him involved in it. 

blue_elephant
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:55 PM
I could tell my mom til i'm blue in the face to not feed them jink but I'm not there to control it, which is why she only sees them once a month if that.

He loves cars but it doesn't work for him, I could make all the car noises I want and tell him to eat the cars or park them in the garage (his mouth) and he won't. I have tried everything I can think of to get him to eat and he just won't.

Also with the sweets, he is picky about them, he will eat anything cake like except brownies, cookies unless they are extremely hard like oreos, he'll eat the cream out but not the cookie part, and m&M's that's it. Anything other than those kinds of things and he won't touch it.

I also refuse to force him to eat, if he doesn't want to eat that's fine but he won't be getting anything until the next meal.

Quoting Anonymous:

Every kid has "his key" to overcoming things like this. At three he has to have some kind of imagination, some kind of way to use that to get him to eat decent foods. If he can binge on candy clearly he doesn't have an issue with eating in general or textures as sweets have all kinds of textures. He just prefers the sweets.

If you've tried everything like you've said then its time to ask for a nutritionist. They will help you with balancing nutrition with what he will eat. The first thing you need to do is NO JUNK foods. Don't allow them at moms and don't even have them in your house. There is a reason you have two kids with negative eating habits and you need to find out how to overcome them.

Quoting blue_elephant:

I could be as sneaky as I want with foods and he still won't eat. I've tried telling him broccoli is trees, salad is leaves, etc. He still doesn't eat it.

He survives on cereal, corn dogs, and pb&j's.

Quoting Anonymous:

You're allowing your mother to fill him up with sweets which is causing his eating issues. He wants sweets, nothing but sweets so you need to put a stop to it. Not only is he missing out in the NECESSARY nutrition he needs but his teeth are coated in sugar which will cause problems over time even with a good teeth brushing routine.

Stop all sweets and be creative with your foods. Carrots are sweet tasting cut those into cubes or strings and those can be his sweet snacks. In another reply I said my son is not a good eater, he just isn't, we didn't have the sweets battle but we had a food battle. I got creative, for example, ckn is monster bites, green beans are Dino bites etc. When he eats he is the monster eating all his monster bites or a dinosaur eating his leaves, sandwiches are cut into shapes, food is served in fun things ....... whatever we find that works we do it. He has a big godzilla looking toy that also eats with him, a bite for him and a bite for godzilla. We also sneak in as much nutrition so when he eats less he is still getting as much nutrition as he can. There are lots of recipes online to sneak veggies in to foods.

Quoting blue_elephant:

We haven't seen a nutritionist, his pedi said that he's just picky and to keep trying...

Quoting Anonymous:

What does his pedi say? My ds doesn't eat well at all so he's been on a special diet since he was an infant. We have to get creative with food and getting him to eat it. We don't have junk food in the house, his "cookies" are crackers.

You may have to do the same. I'm sure he's been referred to a nutritionist, what have they said. Have they told you how to dress up his food or create an experience where he thinks he's eating junk food or how to shove as much nutrition in the foods he will eat?

Quoting blue_elephant:

We generally don't have junk in the house, but my birthday was Tuesday, so we had cake, my mom brought over cupcakes, and kids and I baked cookies and cinnamon rolls, because my older kids were bummed because their dad didn't want to take them.

I'm just at a loss, this kid will not eat, I've tried giving him his food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if he didn't eat it the night before. He will say he is full every time.

I'm not sure how this child is still alive, in complete honesty. He weighs 31 pounds and has weighed that since he was 2. I don't get it...

Quoting LilliesValley:

Umm I think until he was eating regular food properly he'd be completely out of luck for cookies, icecream and whatever other junk was around. He won't starve and if he's taking everything to a whole new level of throwing up from regular food he could be on his way to an eating disorder. Regular meals with healthy snack in between for a week or two and then the occassional treat. Moderation is the key. Missing one or two meals won't kill him, and if you have to, save his dinner plate in the fridge (although I don't reheat food then, you get it cold). You need to get him to start eating regular food routinely without complaint or reward and then worry about adding/giving junk.

blue_elephant
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Yes I make food taste good.
No not taking a multivitamin.
And drinks he gets water unless he chooses to eat, then it's juice. He is lactose intolerant so milk isn't an option.

He gets bored easily and doesn't have any interest in helping cook...

Quoting Anonymous:

I hate to sound mean but do you make foods taste good ? So many children don't eat things like vegetables because they are bland  We use salt , butter and fresh lemon juice. on things steamed broccoli .

Or what about getting him involved with  making meals. Teach him how to crack eggs and scramble them up in the bowl . Or have him peel certain vegetables with your guidance.  Just anything to get him involved in it. 

momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 2:36 PM
You have a lot of excuses. Stop giving him cereal, corn dogs and pbjs if you want him to eat other food. Or don't, if it doesn't bother you that that's all he eats.
And your pediatrician is an idiot- kids raiding food and binging until they puke is certainly not normal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:20 PM
My boys drink lactose free milk because of intolerance.
So you've tried having him help with preparing meals. Like cracking eggs and stuff?
You should get him on a multivitamin. He's not getting nutrients. Also maybe more juices like pomegranate / blueberry. Just dilute it some.
You are the only one who can break this cycle.

Quoting blue_elephant:

And drinks he gets water unless he chooses to eat, then it's juice. He is lactose intolerant so milk isn't an option.

Quoting Anonymous:

blue_elephant
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:05 PM
But there isn't much I can do about it other than lock things up.

I'm not OK with starving my child, what happens when that doesn't work? What if before he gets hungry he gets severely malnourished? These are legitimate concerns, whether you like them or not. Not all kids will eat whatever is put in front of them if they are hungry.

I would prefer he eat more but if all he is going to eat is pb&j's, corn dogs, and cereal, then I'll feed that to him, before I make him starve!

Quoting momtolittleg:

You have a lot of excuses. Stop giving him cereal, corn dogs and pbjs if you want him to eat other food. Or don't, if it doesn't bother you that that's all he eats.

And your pediatrician is an idiot- kids raiding food and binging until they puke is certainly not normal.
blue_elephant
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:09 PM
And they don't need milk to survive.

Yes I have let him crack eggs, stir, etc. He isn't interested.

He will drink apple juice, grape juice, and fruit punch, that's it, I've tried many other juices and he will not drink them.

Quoting Anonymous:

My boys drink lactose free milk because of intolerance.

So you've tried having him help with preparing meals. Like cracking eggs and stuff?

You should get him on a multivitamin. He's not getting nutrients. Also maybe more juices like pomegranate / blueberry. Just dilute it some.

You are the only one who can break this cycle.

Quoting blue_elephant:

Quoting Anonymous:

lasombrs
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:28 PM
My son with autism has a thing about textures and temperatures of food. Remotely warm or requiring a lot of chewing to break it up and he will instantly throw up no matter how hungry he is. I have a rule nothing to eat or drink for at least an hour after he pukes incase he is actually sick so it's not for junk only. Luckily he would rather eat apples or oranges then most candy. He is on an almost liquid diet besides chicken though because so much bothers him to eat.
TexanMomOf6
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:35 PM

No-one lets their kid throw up. 2 of mine could do it on command in order to avoid eating or get attention.

Quoting blue_elephant:

Uh, how do you control it? Last I checked I have no control over my sons bodily functions...just sayin ;)

Quoting Anonymous:

Who let's their kid throw up.

Quoting blue_elephant:

It is...

Quoting Anonymous:

That is strange.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)