Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

would this concern you? or do you think it's just him being stubborn?

Posted by   + Show Post
My 3 year old threw up tonight at dinner.

He was eating, took a drink to swallow his food and then threw up.

He rarely eats, unless it's junk food like cookies, cake, ice cream, popsicles, etc. If its real food he looks at it, sometimes takes a bite and then says he is full.

Tonight was a whole new level. He was sitting there at the table, looked at his food and said he was full and wanted a cupcake. We told him that he could have a cupcake if he finished his dinner. He tried, but didn't make it.
He made it five little bites in, took a drink gagged, took another drink and threw up.

Would this concern you? Or do you think it's just him being stubborn?
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Replies (81-86):
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:17 PM
The way I ruled out sensory and found out it was manipulation was one time when ds2, then 3, was not wanting to eat and was giving all sorts of protests then he started gagging and indicating that he had to puke. I looked him straight in the eye and told him that if he puked his food up I would make him eat it in my most serious voice. He stopped gagging and now - several months later - rarely gags.

It sounds really mean but I had to figure it out somehow :/

Quoting blue_elephant:

Yes, most the time, sometimes though it will be a surprise and no gag.

Quoting bustybee:

Does he gag several times before he throws up?

blue_elephant
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:20 PM
Mine gags once or twice and then uncontrollably vomits, and then gets hysterical about it, he doesn't like vomiting. But even when he is sick he gags once or twice before he actually vomits, sometimes, not often, but sometimes he won't gag and he'll just vomit but that is usually when he has only had water or juice.

Quoting bustybee:

The way I ruled out sensory and found out it was manipulation was one time when ds2, then 3, was not wanting to eat and was giving all sorts of protests then he started gagging and indicating that he had to puke. I looked him straight in the eye and told him that if he puked his food up I would make him eat it in my most serious voice. He stopped gagging and now - several months later - rarely gags.

It sounds really mean but I had to figure it out somehow :/

Quoting blue_elephant:

Yes, most the time, sometimes though it will be a surprise and no gag.

Quoting bustybee:

Does he gag several times before he throws up?

-Sweet.Tea-
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:21 PM
It doesn't sound like he's doing it on purpose then.

I'd say its normal behavior for our DS (the eating very little bit). Ours is also 3. He doesn't eat much at all. I think he weighs about 28.

He definitely has an affinity for sweets too (DD is the opposite and just wants meat all the time lol). What I do is make a lot of the things he does like, that are healthy, a regular part of our diet.

Examples: just about any fruit, eggs cooked any way, bacon, cheese, rice, soup.

That way there's at least something he likes to eat served each day, and I don't compromise on my stance of not making separate meals for each person.

I would cut out treats and junk altogether (minus dessert after dinner). Let him know that he won't get any dessert unless he eats regular stuff during the day.

Also, try limiting drinks before and during meals (our DS went through a spell where he'd fill up on drinks and not eat/ or puke because he was full of liquid.

It sounds to me like he's just pushing limits, since you said he ate normal food before.

But If you feel it's something more serious and deliberate than that, I'd go with your guts and ask a doctor. No one knows your buddy better than you :)

Quoting blue_elephant:

He isn't a puker, only when he is sick or gets really, really, really, really upset.

It upsets him greatly when he throws up, last night was no exception. He cried hysterically because of it. He also tried to stop it the first time it tried to come up.

Quoting -Sweet.Tea-:

Mine are both pukers.

DS has been a projectile vomiter from birth. He can do it on command and used to do so when he got too upset. Luckily he doesn't do that anymore, but occasionally eats too much or swallows the wrong way, which triggers it.

DD eats so much on a daily basis (as much as DH-I'm not kidding) and sometimes eats too much and pukes from it.

They aren't picky eaters though...

Did your DS have a big lunch? Does he have a history of puking?

If not, he might be just trying out a new way to get things. Cupcakes are awesome, I'd try tricks to get one too :)

If you think that's the case, though, I'd definitely recommend not giving in and nip it in the bud if its not a previous problem already...after countless puking sprees, our carpet is a goner :p

TexanMomOf6
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Maybe the same reason I do, even when I'm full. It tastes good!!

Quoting blue_elephant:

Maybe, but why would he eat junk food if he were full?

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

Maybe the part of the brain that tells us we are full is sending wrong signals out and he really does think he's full??

blue_elephant
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:46 PM
That's a what I do already, no dessert unless you finish your dinner.
My son doesn't like anything other than cake, cookies, pb&j's, corn dogs, and cereal.
He also doesn't usually get a drink with dinner or 30 mins before dinner. He had a drink last night because if its anything with meat and he does take a bite he will chew the same bite for hours, so we give him water to help him swallow it. It's weird.

I've watched him before, leave the table chewing and an hour later still chewing what was in his mouth when he left the table.

I don't really get it. All three of my other kids even my one year old all eat really well. My older two if given the choice will choose fruit over junk all the time. Even at my moms house they will eat fruit, instead of cookies or candy.

My one year old isn't a fan of cookies, cake, or anything that is junk food. She loves fruit, veggies, everything really, except cookies, cakes, desserts.

Where the hell did I go wrong with my 3 year old? I just don't get it!

Quoting -Sweet.Tea-:

It doesn't sound like he's doing it on purpose then.

I'd say its normal behavior for our DS (the eating very little bit). Ours is also 3. He doesn't eat much at all. I think he weighs about 28.

He definitely has an affinity for sweets too (DD is the opposite and just wants meat all the time lol). What I do is make a lot of the things he does like, that are healthy, a regular part of our diet.

Examples: just about any fruit, eggs cooked any way, bacon, cheese, rice, soup.

That way there's at least something he likes to eat served each day, and I don't compromise on my stance of not making separate meals for each person.

I would cut out treats and junk altogether (minus dessert after dinner). Let him know that he won't get any dessert unless he eats regular stuff during the day.

Also, try limiting drinks before and during meals (our DS went through a spell where he'd fill up on drinks and not eat/ or puke because he was full of liquid.

It sounds to me like he's just pushing limits, since you said he ate normal food before.

But If you feel it's something more serious and deliberate than that, I'd go with your guts and ask a doctor. No one knows your buddy better than you :)

Quoting blue_elephant:

He isn't a puker, only when he is sick or gets really, really, really, really upset.

It upsets him greatly when he throws up, last night was no exception. He cried hysterically because of it. He also tried to stop it the first time it tried to come up.

Quoting -Sweet.Tea-:

Mine are both pukers.

DS has been a projectile vomiter from birth. He can do it on command and used to do so when he got too upset. Luckily he doesn't do that anymore, but occasionally eats too much or swallows the wrong way, which triggers it.

DD eats so much on a daily basis (as much as DH-I'm not kidding) and sometimes eats too much and pukes from it.

They aren't picky eaters though...

Did your DS have a big lunch? Does he have a history of puking?

If not, he might be just trying out a new way to get things. Cupcakes are awesome, I'd try tricks to get one too :)

If you think that's the case, though, I'd definitely recommend not giving in and nip it in the bud if its not a previous problem already...after countless puking sprees, our carpet is a goner :p

blue_elephant
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Lol, maybe...

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

Maybe the same reason I do, even when I'm full. It tastes good!!

Quoting blue_elephant:

Maybe, but why would he eat junk food if he were full?

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

Maybe the part of the brain that tells us we are full is sending wrong signals out and he really does think he's full??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured