Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I worry about overstepping my boundaries as a step parent

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:33 PM
  • 44 Replies
My husband is hanging out with friends today. So, that left me home with all the kids. This week, I did a project with all my kids doing blood types. It was fun checking everyone's blood type and teaching the kids about it.

Well, I bought Eldon cards so the step kids could have fun testing their blood type, too. We did that tonight.

Both the step kids tested AB-. Without thinking, I told my step daughter, "Oh, that means you will have to have special shots when you are pregnant."

After it came out of my mouth, I thought maybe it wasn't my place to tell her that. Oops. :-/
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs-Somerhalder
by Blake on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Meh. Not a big deal IMO
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yikesitsmindy
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:35 PM
5 moms liked this
If that is he worst thing you do as a step mother, you are doing fine.
bdidktn2
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:37 PM
I guess I've never understood the whole 'step parents can't parent the kids' mentality. When my mom had boyfriends that lived with us (sadly there were many), they told us what to do and we had to do it, period. If a child were in my home and I were responsible for them, I would parent them, period.
TrouserMouse
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:40 PM
I think since I don't have a daughter, I don't really know what is important to a mom.as to what types of things are reserved for moms to tell/teach their daughters.

Quoting Mrs-Somerhalder:

Meh. Not a big deal IMO
Yoshisgirl
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Okay, call me stupid--I had to look up what eldon cards were lol!  My question is, did you have to use them for each person, or do you know a "do it yourself" home project way?  It sounds interesting, I'd love to do this with my boy!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Ya not sure that was a big deal unless BM is one of "those" women... If you think she'll trip maybe give her a heads up.
quinnsmom715
by Donna on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this

im lost..why would she need shots?why is it wrong for you to say that?

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Quoting TrouserMouse:

I think since I don't have a daughter, I don't really know what is important to a mom.as to what types of things are reserved for moms to tell/teach their daughters.

Quoting Mrs-Somerhalder:

Meh. Not a big deal IMO

It might not even be something her mom is aware of. My SIL didn't know about RH-negative blood until she was pregnant with my niece. I think it is fine :). I only knew as a kid because my mom is B- and we are all B+

TrouserMouse
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this
You need one kit per person. It is really a good project to do with kids. They think it is pretty cool.

Quoting Yoshisgirl:

Okay, call me stupid--I had to look up what eldon cards were lol!  My question is, did you have to use them for each person, or do you know a "do it yourself" home project way?  It sounds interesting, I'd love to do this with my boy!

mlg1989
by ZombieMegg on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:47 PM
I dont think thats overstepping. I mean, what happens if her mom never tells her? At least she knows now! I think if its about her health or hygiene then you arent overstepping boundaries at all. Do you get along with their mom?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)