Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I've finally decided to enlist into the military. *Edit in green*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 450 Replies
6 moms liked this

This is something that I have been wanting to do for years but something always came up that made me put a pause on those plans. I met my SO when we were 17 and shortly after, started to date and we married at 19. We talked about it and decided that I would wait at least 1 years after being married before leaving for basic combat training. Those plans changed pretty quickly because I was pregnant with our eldest daughter 7  months into our marriage. Of course as a new mother, I didn't want to leave my child so we put my plans on the backburner again for another year. Again, not even a year after DD1 was born, DD2 came alone. SO worked while I stayed at home with the girls and everything worked just fine for us, but now the girls are both in school and I am on BC so no more babies for a while. SO got injured and doesn't work, I am currently not working either so I feel the time is right to go ahead and enlist. It's something that I've dreamed of doing for a while now and with such a small income, I feel like there's no time like the present.

I have already gotten with a recruiter and she is telling me a lot of good things. My husband and I have discussed where we would like to be stationed and we decided that Hawaii would be great. I want to do an admin job or become and mechanic and my recruiter is saying that this is all very possible. She also said that I'll never have to go to war because they typically don't send admin soldiers or mechanics to combat. They normally stay in the rear so that is a heavy life off of my shoulders. I am so excited to go into the Army and I cannot wait. Has anyone here been in the miltary? Any pointers that you can give me?

This past Monday, I went to MEPS with my recruiter. Everything that she said was right. I got there Sunday night and had to be on the bus by 6:00 Monday morning. We got to the MEPS station and there was a lot of waiting around but there was also a lot of things going on when we weren't waiting. Medical tests, drug tests and things like that. I signed some papers, got my duty station of choice and the MOS of 92A, it's a kind of supply. Swearing in was the greatest feeling! My husband was there and took some pictures of me and afterwards, we took pictures as a family. I am in the DEP and will have to swear in one more time before I ship out to basic training. I am so excited about this and can't wait to get this thing started!

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
weezer_cookie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:25 AM
3 moms liked this
Is your last name Benjamin by chance?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Quoting weezer_cookie:

Is your last name Benjamin by chance?

No. Why do you ask that?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:32 AM
2 moms liked this

Uh...admin personnel deploy just like anyone else. Also, you aren't guaranteed Hawaii. But I admire you for your desire to enlist. I wish you the best.

FL2AK
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:32 AM
12 moms liked this
You need to find someone who is in the Army to talk to because I can tell you the recruiter is doing what a recruiter does. You will get stationed wherever they need you and Hawaii would be expensive as hell for a lower enlisted person with kids and a spouse who does not work. Front lines really do not exist anymore. Mechanics could easily be in the middle of a war. Admin staff does not always stay behind a desk either.
GwenGray
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this
She lied about not typically deploying mechanics for one and for two they will tell you anything you want to hear so you will enlist. Hawaii is very hard to get. Almost as hard as getting Japan. By all means I wish you luck, I will be joining as soon as my unborn is old enough and I am married. So I do understand. Just be careful of the crap the recruiters will sell you.
shannonre
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I was in a unit with mostly mechanics in it and we were deployed two times in 5 years.

I have been in the national guard for 7 years now. It has had its ups and downs.
HappySquirrel
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this
My husband says to get everything in writing before you sign up or you will not get what you want. You will be sent wherever you're needed. He says even with it in writing it may not always happen that way. But goos luck!
armyvet06
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Um everybody in whatever unit you may be in deploys unless they have a legitamit reason on why they cant. And they have to have their admin and mechanics deploy with them because they play a vital role in the unit. Recruiters do what they do best...lie.
DoofusAloofus
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:41 AM
1 mom liked this
I was in for ten years. Whoever told you that admin jobs don't deploy (or especially mechanics!) was incorrect. Combat troops and support troops alike (all MOSs) get deployed and go on training exercises. As for Hawaii it is possible you could get that duty station, provided it says so specifically in your written contract. (When I enlisted I chose "Germany" as my guaranteed first duty station as part of a sign up incentive at the time). Otherwise if you are simply filling out a "dream sheet" that basically means nothing, as needs of the military/government will determine where you go.
brandydesiree
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:44 AM
2 moms liked this
I was in the Nurse Corps in the Navy for six years. I LOVED it! I did do a tour in Iraq, and honestly, it is one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. Not to scare you, but there are ABSOLUTELY mechanics in War. Who do you think fixes the humvees, 7-Tons, and helicopters? Admin? Yep, they are there too, SSOC is nothing but admin, tons of paperwork is prepared in theater. Of course, there are TONS of admin and mechanic jobs in the Army and only a small percentage of them go into theater, but don't allow that recruiter to lie to you and tell you there is no chance!

The military can be very rewarding and I think it's awesome that you are joining...

Are you POSITIVE you want to go Army? The Navy had the best duty stations by far, and the Air Force is known for how well they treat their service members.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN