Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I've finally decided to enlist into the military. *Edit in green*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

This is something that I have been wanting to do for years but something always came up that made me put a pause on those plans. I met my SO when we were 17 and shortly after, started to date and we married at 19. We talked about it and decided that I would wait at least 1 years after being married before leaving for basic combat training. Those plans changed pretty quickly because I was pregnant with our eldest daughter 7  months into our marriage. Of course as a new mother, I didn't want to leave my child so we put my plans on the backburner again for another year. Again, not even a year after DD1 was born, DD2 came alone. SO worked while I stayed at home with the girls and everything worked just fine for us, but now the girls are both in school and I am on BC so no more babies for a while. SO got injured and doesn't work, I am currently not working either so I feel the time is right to go ahead and enlist. It's something that I've dreamed of doing for a while now and with such a small income, I feel like there's no time like the present.

I have already gotten with a recruiter and she is telling me a lot of good things. My husband and I have discussed where we would like to be stationed and we decided that Hawaii would be great. I want to do an admin job or become and mechanic and my recruiter is saying that this is all very possible. She also said that I'll never have to go to war because they typically don't send admin soldiers or mechanics to combat. They normally stay in the rear so that is a heavy life off of my shoulders. I am so excited to go into the Army and I cannot wait. Has anyone here been in the miltary? Any pointers that you can give me?

This past Monday, I went to MEPS with my recruiter. Everything that she said was right. I got there Sunday night and had to be on the bus by 6:00 Monday morning. We got to the MEPS station and there was a lot of waiting around but there was also a lot of things going on when we weren't waiting. Medical tests, drug tests and things like that. I signed some papers, got my duty station of choice and the MOS of 92A, it's a kind of supply. Swearing in was the greatest feeling! My husband was there and took some pictures of me and afterwards, we took pictures as a family. I am in the DEP and will have to swear in one more time before I ship out to basic training. I am so excited about this and can't wait to get this thing started!

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Replies (441-450):
vetNmommy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Oh. lol. I honestly have no clue. We just called it the warehouse. lol. Honestly when you get out, you can get great pay with this job on the civi side. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I meant what was your section called? I used to work retail and we had a job where the guy would receive merchandise. It sounds a lot like what you did.

Quoting vetNmommy:

Sams-E/warehouse. I just did what I stated.  Before I reached E5 I was the one doing inventory and reorganizing the supply/tool rooms. (which I like to organize stuff so I liked it lol) 

Quoting Anonymous:

Really, that's cool. Which section was yours?

Quoting vetNmommy:

I got out 5 years ago. There are other aspects of the job, but I never had to do them. I was in charge of the warehouse section. (SGT)

Quoting Anonymous:

How long ago was that? Sounds pretty routine.

Quoting vetNmommy:

I was in the warehouse.  I worked on the Sams-E box.  (they may have a new system now though) I did like working in the warehouse though, but AIT was very boring. (Fort Lee) The main part of my job was intaking parcels, making sure everything that was ordered came in the packages.  Inputting it into the system and handing it off to the ones who put it on the shelves. It was super easy.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting vetNmommy:

That was my job, 92A.  Good luck, it is boring as hell.  

What did you do?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Shit maybe I do. I've only been to Iraq once and Afghanistan twice.
You sound like you think the Army is going to be candy land. Like everyone is just going to bow to your every request. You got another thung coming

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you gave PTSD? You sound certified.

Quoting Anonymous:

You're going to hate the Army.

Unless of course you end up being an EO caller about everything. Which in that case, everyone will hate you. You're going in at the bottom of the totem pole sweetheart, I hope you know what respect is and how to show it no matter what. Doesn't matter if you think your first line, section sgt, plt sgt, 1sgt or who ever is being an ass. You will stand at parade rest and show the proper customs and courtesy.

Btw, have you taken the asvab? If not then there is no way in hell you ssigned your contract and swore in. Don't bullshit yourself.

Quoting Anonymous:

You sound toxic......and crazy.

Quoting Anonymous:

WTAF?

You dont know your first duty station until you graduate AIT. The base your talking about is where you'll be doing basic and AIT. You choose 3 posts for your WISH LIST. Which basically means the Army will send you where ever the fuck they want to. Fuck, please be a troll. The Army seriously does not need more stupid ass little bitches like you shitting on our ranks. Oh and sweet jesus, you're going to be supply... You are going to get fucking bitched at all the time for fucking orders up and shit I can just see it now. Holy fucking shit, please come to my unit. I'll make it my personal mission to get your ass chaptered out asap.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Yeah. I joined the army. They told me I would be able to have my husband & kids with me after Basic. The day before I was leaving for Basic, I had to sign more paperwork. After they were signed, I was told I really only had a 75% chance of the kids & DH coming with me & IF they did, I had to live on base while they lived off & I could only see them every other weekend IF I got permission. I walked out. They tried to threaten me with treason via AWOL. Fucking assholes. I had a 1 year old & a 4 mo. old. Maybe they'd have more people join if they didn't lie to recruits.
vetNmommy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I have never seen that happen. You were legally married correct?  Once you graduated AIT you and your family would have gone to your duty station.  Unless they were sending you to Korea unaccompanied. The only time I have heard of this happening is single parents giving custody to the other parent or grandparent and it is hell to get custody back.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah. I joined the army. They told me I would be able to have my husband & kids with me after Basic. The day before I was leaving for Basic, I had to sign more paperwork. After they were signed, I was told I really only had a 75% chance of the kids & DH coming with me & IF they did, I had to live on base while they lived off & I could only see them every other weekend IF I got permission. I walked out. They tried to threaten me with treason via AWOL. Fucking assholes. I had a 1 year old & a 4 mo. old. Maybe they'd have more people join if they didn't lie to recruits.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe YOU should have done the proper research and not just believed whatever was told to you. Your family can only get tag along orders if your AIT is over a certain amount of time, I believe it is 6 months (could be off) and is left up to command approval. When you're in TRADOC you are under strict rules. You need to focus on your training, not your family. Sad but true, and yes they could have deemed you AWOL had you left which is punishable under the UCMJ. Damn that contract that no one forced you to sign.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I really do hope so! The economy is so bad, any work experience would be wonderful.

Quoting vetNmommy:

Oh. lol. I honestly have no clue. We just called it the warehouse. lol. Honestly when you get out, you can get great pay with this job on the civi side. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I meant what was your section called? I used to work retail and we had a job where the guy would receive merchandise. It sounds a lot like what you did.

Quoting vetNmommy:

Sams-E/warehouse. I just did what I stated.  Before I reached E5 I was the one doing inventory and reorganizing the supply/tool rooms. (which I like to organize stuff so I liked it lol) 

Quoting Anonymous:

Really, that's cool. Which section was yours?

Quoting vetNmommy:

I got out 5 years ago. There are other aspects of the job, but I never had to do them. I was in charge of the warehouse section. (SGT)

Quoting Anonymous:

How long ago was that? Sounds pretty routine.

Quoting vetNmommy:

I was in the warehouse.  I worked on the Sams-E box.  (they may have a new system now though) I did like working in the warehouse though, but AIT was very boring. (Fort Lee) The main part of my job was intaking parcels, making sure everything that was ordered came in the packages.  Inputting it into the system and handing it off to the ones who put it on the shelves. It was super easy.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting vetNmommy:

That was my job, 92A.  Good luck, it is boring as hell.  

What did you do?

Kellileanne
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't believe anything until you get paper orders.  My husband was told all these wonderful things and none of it was true.  We ended up in a duty station really far from home (which the recruiter said would NOT happen), he was not able to even turn in his packet for the school he was told he could do as soon as we got to his first duty station (his CO looked at him like he was an idiot and told him he signed as a medic so that's what he has to do), and many more things the recruiter lied about.  You ALWAYS get it in writing or they are free to do whatever the hell they want.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Legally married with 2 kids.

Quoting vetNmommy:

I have never seen that happen. You were legally married correct?  Once you graduated AIT you and your family would have gone to your duty station.  Unless they were sending you to Korea unaccompanied. The only time I have heard of this happening is single parents giving custody to the other parent or grandparent and it is hell to get custody back.

Quoting Anonymous:

vetNmommy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Did you want your family with you during AIT?  That can only occur if your AIT s over 20 weeks. (Maybe longer now) 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting vetNmommy:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Yes. I was supposed to go to AIT @ Fort Bliss. They told me that AIT would be long enough to qualify. I was going to be working with Patriot missiles & this was 6 years ago, if that helps.

Quoting vetNmommy:

Did you want your family with you during AIT?  That can only occur if your AIT s over 20 weeks. (Maybe longer now) 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting vetNmommy:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured