Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you knew you couldn't get free formula from WIC

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Would you be more inclined to breastfeed?

Serious question. This of course doesn't apply to people that do not have breast, or fall under the few that actually cannot nurse for whatever reason. I mean able bodied people.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:27 AM
Replies (161-168):
Luna091306
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I actually breastfed when I was on WIC. Well I pumped for as long as I could anyways. My kids had latch issues so I could never breastfeed but believe me I would have if I could.

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I never used WIC, and I still had to use formula.  But I don't think that Formula is that expensive. Cost factor had nothing to do with my choice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 51 on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:34 PM

the only reason I got on WIC was because I couldn't breastfeed and my DD had stomach issues and she ended up needing the formula that was $30 a can. I wouldn't have needed it if she could have used the ones that weren't as expensive. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 51 on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:35 PM

for the most part formula isnt, but I got "lucky" and DD had to have the alimentum which was nearly $30 a can.

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

I never used WIC, and I still had to use formula.  But I don't think that Formula is that expensive. Cost factor had nothing to do with my choice.

lhiannan
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I don't get wic even though we qualify.  I was nursing but had a very hard time with it (lots of pain), and wound up slowly switching over to the bottle.  My daughter has reflux, and after going through god knows how many different kinds of formula, found out she keeps the generic walmart one down the best (go figure-I spent a crap ton of money trying to find one that would work, and on the week we were a bit tight, I bought the generic, and it works for her).  I don't think WIC even covers it.  But, in answer to your question, my ability to receive WIC did not influence my decision.  I was very gung ho about nursing, but with all of the running around that I do (my oldest is a cancer survivor who has had 2 surgeries this year and my two younger boys are both asd and receive services), it was just too difficult for me. :(

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I can see how that could get expensive. I am always puzzled when people claim the regular old plain formula is expensive though. When you break it down, It is about 55cents a bottle. That is without using those aweome five buck coupons.  I did the actual breakdown of it at one point, and I think we are only paying 32 cents a bottle.

Quoting Anonymous:

for the most part formula isnt, but I got "lucky" and DD had to have the alimentum which was nearly $30 a can.

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 51 on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I would have given anything for my DD to be able to take the regular lol. and it really was at one point I was spending 150-180 on just formula a month so I had to get wic. It was ridiculous. Im soooo glad formula days have been long over lol

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

I can see how that could get expensive. I am always puzzled when people claim the regular old plain formula is expensive though. When you break it down, It is about 55cents a bottle. That is without using those aweome five buck coupons.  I did the actual breakdown of it at one point, and I think we are only paying 32 cents a bottle.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Never recieved pa. Never have or will formula feed. I breastfeed because I aim for best with my children.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN