Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do You Ask or Tell Him ?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Your SO/Dh......like if you want to go get a new dress...do you tell him you're going to go get one, or do you ask him if you can go get one?  

If  you want new towels....do you go get them or ask his opinion?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Replies (41-50):
TattooedMomto4
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Neither. I just buy whatever I want to buy and then show it to him.
Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Ummm -neither?

If it comes up in conversation, it gets talked about.  If not - then it gets purchased.  Usually we shop together and the discussion is more about if we like the item in question.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Yes ALL purchases. It is a respect thing, even grocery store lists I go over with him before going shopping and I will try to text him before I add to it.

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Really? ALL purchases? And more importantly, WHY???

Quoting Anonymous:

I ask permission for all purchases.

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Quoting TheMrs407:

Neither. I just buy it. Unless it's a major expense we both buy what we like. If its a major expense then we discuss it.
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Depends on the budget at the time. He's a contractor, so our money flow isn't the same all the time. Usually, i'll tell him my plan (hey, I'm going to the grocery store and im going to stop at target and get new sheets). He keeps up wirh money because i suck at it. He will let me know how much i can spend before going over the budget.
Pink.Frosting
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:14 AM

If I'm going to go out and my plan is to spend a pretty good chunk of change, I'll tell him what I need and ask if it's ok.  If I'm just going to spend a little bit, I'll just spend it.  Things like asking him his opinion on towel....no, no way.  He wouldn't want me to.  Things like that are petty to him and he doesn't care about the pattern on our towels, kwim?  He would find that aggravating.

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I cannot imagine having to ask permission from my HUSBAND before buying a pack of gum just because it wasn't on the list. That's not respect, that's control and you are not the one who has it. But hey, if it works for you ... 

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes ALL purchases. It is a respect thing, even grocery store lists I go over with him before going shopping and I will try to text him before I add to it.
Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Really? ALL purchases? And more importantly, WHY???

Quoting Anonymous:

I ask permission for all purchases.

CelestialSong
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:17 AM

We usually discuss anything that isn't a necessary purchase (bills, gas, food). I'd probably ask unless they were very cheap, or in the case of towels if we really needed new towels. But it goes both ways. He asked me before he bought new sheets last week :)

Kmary
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Depends on how large of a purchase it is.  While I never explicitly ask permission, if it were something more than, say, 100 bucks I'd mention it beforehand as to elicit his opinion.  However, I have never actually uttered the words, "Honey, may I buy..."  He is not my father.

cLanief
by Ruby Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Me and so have our own money so we buy what we want. But since we moved in together he has been asking me if he can buy something expensive lmfao I think its hilarious.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)