Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should they pay a price?

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:21 AM
  • 70 Replies
I'm watching the news, and they are talking (again) about Snowden. Obama is not making a fuss about getting him back to the country. McCain is saying that Putin is sticking his finger in our eye by not shipping him back. They are saying that we should cut off any resources to Russia because if this. If Ecuador helps Snowden, then we need to cut off everything to them (which can seriously cripple their country). Should we? McCain is saying that countries helping Snowden is like a slap in the US' face and we shouldn't help countries while they do that. They should pay a price for essentially not showing they are loyal to our government.
I don't understand why it's a huge issue. I haven't decided if I feel Snowden is a traitor to the US or doing what he should by exposing something like this to the American people. It's not like he gave war secrets to enemies, but at the same time, by exposing a way we caught terrorists he probably just made it harder to thwart terrorist plots before they came into action.
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I don't understand why its a big issue either.

Bump

RissyLee
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:29 AM
I guess it really comes down to if you think what he did was wrong or not. And if it is wrong, is it worth our resources to get him back in the US and prosecute him. I can see both sides of his actions being right or wrong, so I'm not sure how I feel about punishing other countries and making more enemies over one man.

Quoting Jessy613:

I don't understand why its a big issue either.

Bump

Peytonsmom6308
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I think he did something amazing and I'm sorry he had to hide now. I hope he find s some where happy to stay and live out his life
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Yeah like we'd stop doing business with any country if they had snowden.
More propaganda from the media.
RissyLee
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Do you think that we will have a harder time learning about terrorist plots now? What is your stance on giving up a little freedom to save lives? Are you concerned that the government was actually keeping track of calls and such?

Quoting Peytonsmom6308:

I think he did something amazing and I'm sorry he had to hide now. I hope he find s some where happy to stay and live out his life
RissyLee
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Not saying it will happen, but do you think it should?

Quoting Anonymous:

Val99
by Ruby Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Snowden is a traitor to the US.  When you get a security clearance you are explained the penalties for sharing any classified information with non-cleared individuals.  That includes a conviction for treason.  So what he did definitely rises to the level of treason.

How do you expect the country to have an intelligence community if everyone is allowed to share all classified information with the enemy, which is what putting it in the public domain does?  Putin himself toughened the treason laws in Russia.

The problem here is that it's difficult to sanction a country without causing death to their people.  Even an amargo causes suffering and death.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/14/russia-treason-idUSL5E8ME4Y620121114

MOSCOW, Nov 14 (Reuters) - Russia enacted a new treason law on Wednesday, alarming opponents of President Vladimir Putin who fear he will use it to silence critics and - in a reminder of the Soviet past - put at risk almost anyone who associates with foreigners.

The law broadens the definition of treason to allow Russians representing international organisations to face the charge, as well as citizens working for foreign states and bodies.

Putin signed the legislation on Tuesday which took effect on Wednesday when it was published in the official gazette, Rossiyskaya Gazeta, even though he had promised on Monday to review it.

Political opponents and rights activists say the law is the latest in a series intended to crack down on the opposition and reduce foreign influence which have been introduced since Putin returned to the Kremlin in May for a six-year third term.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:36 AM
No it shouldn't.

For all we know we're negotiating with Russia secretly.

Quoting RissyLee:

Not saying it will happen, but do you think it should?

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:39 AM

But I guess the US gave asylum to a couple of Ecuadorians so Ecuador's president says Obama is a hypocrite. Which I agree with.  I love my country but I don't like when we try to boss other countries around but then don't listen to them in return.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured