Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Hot hot hot people in MIAMI

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

We are planning a 2 week trip to Miami...although I have been before, that was years ago before children:) 

What places are there to see in Miami for kids? Where to stay away from??

I see it is hot hot hot the next 2 weeks or so...and a lot if rain, does it rain all day?? Or just here and there?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Here and there. Tropical.
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:44 PM
I was born in Miami and lived there til I was 3. I don't remember much, so here's a bump for you :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM
I live about 30 miles north of Miami.
Miami seaaquarium is an awesome place to take kids; we just went a few moths ago. Busch gardens is fun, too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Thank u!

Quoting Kmakksmom:

I was born in Miami and lived there til I was 3. I don't remember much, so here's a bump for you :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Bump

Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:59 PM

If the weather is like the rest of FL, the thunderstorms are sudden and torrential with plenty of lightning and then disappear within an hour or two at the most. Lightning kills more people here than elsewhere, so always take shelter inside a building when it storms. Last year a young man working at the water park down the street was struck by lightning and died as he was ushering guests from the water slide. 

Also bring a water bottle and keep it filled. The humidity here is overwhelming to tourists and they often find themselves in the hospital getting iv's because they did not hydrate properly. You will sweat way more than you normally do because your body will be not be acclimated to the humidity and doesn't know that sweating is inefficient for cooling you down here. 

Because I am a native Floridian, I am always cold in air conditioning. In fact I find it intolerably cold if the temp falls below 95 degrees. I enjoy the outside warmth. Most tourists find it unpleasant, though, so make judicious use of your air conditioner.

Tips:

Before leaving the house, fill a small plastic dish pan with ice and a few slices of limes and leave it in front of a chair by the door. It will melt into ice water and be a refreshing bath to soak your feet in when you walk in the door.

Don't drink too much caffeinated beverages such as sodas to rehydrate. They will make you pee more and you'll lose the benefit of the fluids. Try to drink water.

Fresh fruits and veggies help you to maintain your hydrated state, they're especially refreshing if you leave them in the fridge.

Popsicles. They are staple here.

Cold baths are great. Bring a glass of chilled wine and some grapes and a book.

Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I live down the street from Busch Gardens. I've been going there since 1974. It's a great place to hang out and across the street from there is their water park, Adventure Island. Getting a double pass for both parks is a fantastic idea.

Quoting Anonymous:

I live about 30 miles north of Miami.
Miami seaaquarium is an awesome place to take kids; we just went a few moths ago. Busch gardens is fun, too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)