Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I need you to teach me

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies
How to grocery shop like a poor person! I have been spending around $400 every two weeks on groceries for a family of 4.

We can NOT afford that. We are struggling way more than we should. But between student loans, rent, and utilities, we just don't have enough left over t the end of the month. I have cancelled almost everything that would be considered "extra" and it's still not enough.

Help! How can I spend $100 or less a week and still feed my family of 4. If it helps... We live in Pennsylvania. I know food costs are different in different places.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Shop like a poor person, really?
Mommyof1_2013
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Coupons, generic foods. Also don't buy frozen meals, they add up quickly. Buy meat in bulk and freeze it. Last week my bf and I spent $200 on groceries and still have enough meat and veggies for this upcoming week. We just have to get some essentials like bread, milk and eggs. Feel free to message me if you'd like a more detailed "list" of what we buy
Mommyof1_2013
Oh and we are also a family of 4
Anonandon
What do you normally buy that eats up $200/week?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd say start couponing.  Shop sales.  Stay away from boxed stuff.  Make everything homemade which in the long run is cheaper.

lauraschatz
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:31 PM
I've been there hon. I know your pain. I live in PA too.
The way I used to save is by making a list of essentials and planning meals in advance so I knew exactly what I needed. Then use a store that will let you order your groceries on line and pick them up if you feel like you can't stick to your list and avoid impulse buys. There is usually a small fee but it's less than 3 impulse items!
I bought generic brands when I could (you quickly figure out what items you need to buy name brand and which generics are.of.equal quality).
Use coupons but only for neccesary items. Don't buy anything just because you have a coupon.
A little extra effort on prep can save you a ton of money. Buy a bag of potatoes instead of instant boxed ones. Buy fresh veggies and prep yourself instead of frozen microwave bags.
I hope this helps!
Good luck!
AlleyCat08
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:32 PM
I had that same thought...

Quoting Anonymous:

Shop like a poor person, really?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveNaCupcake
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:33 PM

First off meal plan! Sit down and make a meal plan for each day, then write out all the ingredients you need for those meals. Get a newspaper and use coupons. Also buying generic saves money, not always but mostly. Most weeks I spend about $80-$90 for a family of 5, unless we need other things like plates, trash bags etc. then it's more.

sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Is there a bottom dollar near you?
KaylinC03
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Start couponing! It will save you tons.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)