Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I live with my mother and beyond frustrated!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 66 Replies

Ok. So Im 25, I have a 2 year old and I live at home with my parents and younger sister... my dad is rarely home (truck driver), my sister is gone most of the time (living the 20 year old life that I miss oh so much).... I was in the AF when I got pregnant and my ds father wanted nothing to do with us. So my parents and I came to an agreement, Ill get out of the AF move home, and theyll help with my son while I work and go to school. I work full time and go to school full time. I unfortunatelly work at night, usually from 9pm-7am.... my mom usually has to watch him if I have a class during the day (maybe once a week) and for 2-3 hours at night and 2-3 hours in the morning (so I can catch a few zzz after I get home from work)..... I have finally found a friend that I like to hang out with once or twice a month to have a few drinks or go dancing, many time we just go to applebees and have desert.   I always put my son to bed and take care of the few little chores before I leave the house and I always let my mom know about the time Im going to be home, almost always no later than 2 am. I am constantly being nagged by my mother about her having to watch my son because I am asleep and she has to do things with him on her own..... its just for a few hours! I get paid a decent wage at my job so I reallly dont want to just leave.... and I never sleep in when I go out with my friend at night. I just dont know what to do anymore. Am I wrong to feel so frustrated?! Them watching my son was part of the agreement when I moved home! :(

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
opal10161973
by Ruby Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:32 PM
7 moms liked this

They didn't agree to watch them for your social life.  Maybe it would be better to find a sitter for those nights.  Take a bit of stress off of her. 

sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this
She's probably just overwhelmed too. Go over the ground rules, set boundaries you're both comfortable with.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:34 PM
6 moms liked this

You're a single mom, right?  Unfortunately, that means you have to make sacrifices.  If you were on your own and not living with your parents, you'd have to be up to look after your son.  If I were in your situation, I would be looking for a job with better hours pronto.  When I was a single mom, there were just things I didn't do.  Going out until 2 am was one of them.  Sleeping when my boys were awake was another.  I'm sorry, but from what you've said, I do think you're taking advantage a little.  I'm not trying to bash, I'm just saying.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Wasn't their a teen mom episode like this... mom left to party and stuck grandma with the kids while she slept in?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:36 PM

She only watches him when I am in school (one night a week, the rest of my classes are online so I am at home still taking care of him) and when I am at work. He sleeps through the night never wakes up. Im only gone 3-3 1/2 hours tops when I go out with my friend, so shes not watching them, she turns on the baby monitor just incase and she sits in bed and watches tv. So me going out one night a month doesnt count. And Ive brought up a sitter, they dont see the point in taking him to sleep somehwere else for a few hours and then pick him up and dont see the point of a sitter in the house when she is there

Quoting opal10161973:

They didn't agree to watch them for your social life.  Maybe it would be better to find a sitter for those nights.  Take a bit of stress off of her. 

Mommy2b2many
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:38 PM
I think it would be different if you weren't living at home. But since you live with your mom she probably feels taken advantage of by you leaving at night so whe is responsible for the child. Youalready work nights; AND want to go out at night with friends; sounds like Grandma doesn't appreciate having to watch him so often. Maybe change shifts? Or move out and find a babysitter?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:38 PM
9 moms liked this

"Dear Mom,

Thank you so much for how much you've helped me. I understand how frustrating it has been to be the primary caregiver while I am at work, school, sleeping doto my work schedule and having a social life. You've been such a great help, and I know it can seem as though I feel ungrateful, but I am not. You're a great mom and a fantastic grandma. Thank you for being there for me and my son.

Love,

Your daughter

PS. Here's a gift card for a movie and dinner with dad when he comes home. It's not much, but thanks so much for your help!"

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:38 PM

You choose to have the baby ..stay the hell home and take care of him..your mom isn't your personal built in babysitter....this is what gets me women like . I bet you bitch to your friends about your mom but in reality if you didn't have her where the fuck would you be right now..stop bitching and do your part..it's not all about you..

krissy920
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:39 PM
I would of stayed in the airforce
JLS2388
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Let me ask you something, what did they get out of this "agreement"? What would you have done had they not offered this agreement? From what it looks like, on nights you work, she is already watching your son for 12 hours plus whenever you go to school, that is a lot

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured