Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

s/o on 3rd shift

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies

I have a new found hatred for 3rd shift. My s/o is ALWAYS tired, always falling asleep, pissy, and running himself into the ground. he tries, really, to get a decent amount of sleep. And we try really hard to get out of the house early and give him a quiet space to fall asleep. We have quiet time when we get home so he can rest in a quiet house. but he's still always tired. His off nights are spent trying to stay away so he can maintain a sleep schedule, but in return he hasn't been able to help much around the house. it's taken a huge toll on our sex life. it's almost impossible to find time. And when we do get time on his off nights I miss him falling asleep next to me. Sometimes he does and takes a nap before leaving me alone but I miss him. He's killing himself trying to help out during the day with the house and kids. Sometimes he's running on 2 hous of sleep walking into a 12 hour shift. I'm so scared he's going to fall asleep while driving. He's fallen asleep while eating. I HATE third shift. I just woke him up to see what he wanted to do for dinner and he got pissed at me. He started talking about waiting to eat till jason leaves...we don't have a single friend named jason... he wasn't even awake and his eyes were open. =(

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:04 PM

3rd shift is awful for a lot of people. My dh had to work it for awhile, we all hated it. Summer time especially. My dad was one of those rare people that actually enjoyed it and asked to work it.

unspecified42
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:04 PM
How long has he been working nights? I've done it for four and a half years, and it gets easier with time. I don't stay up on my nights off, either. It just didn't help that much (but I only work 3 nights a week). I'm one who loves working nights!

Sorry, mama. I hope it gets easier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Quoting unspecified42:

How long has he been working nights? I've done it for four and a half years, and it gets easier with time. I don't stay up on my nights off, either. It just didn't help that much (but I only work 3 nights a week). I'm one who loves working nights!

a few weeks so far. And there's a really good possiblilty that he will be on this shift for a few more years. He was on days but his job proformance was so high they bumped him to 3rd to pick up the slack. so he's stuck and I don't want him to look for another job because we need the job security. it sucks so much.

unspecified42
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, the first month or two is the worst. Has he tried ear plugs and either a mask or black out curtains? I didn't think I would be able to sleep in them (thought they would annoy me too much), but they ended up being life savers in the first few months until my body let go of the whole circadian rhythm 'I-need-to-sleep-in-the-dark' thing. Or maybe some Benadryl or melatonin?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting unspecified42:

a few weeks so far. And there's a really good possiblilty that he will be on this shift for a few more years. He was on days but his job proformance was so high they bumped him to 3rd to pick up the slack. so he's stuck and I don't want him to look for another job because we need the job security. it sucks so much.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
villagemamma
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:17 PM

My DH has to work nights as well. hes a bartender so he usually starts at 10 and gets home between 4-7am. He falls asleep usually around 9 and then wakes up at anywhere between 2-4pm so he can spend some time with us. Im surprised at home well he has handeled it so far. if it was me i would have broken down a while ago. Occasionally when we have a lazy day he will doze on the couch. monday and tues are his recovery days. He will usually sleep around 12 hrs a night

Mrs.Pedro
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Does he just not have enough time to sleep when he comes home? Or is it too loud in the house for him to sleep during the day? My mom worked third for years, and she's a light sleeper so she always wore ear plugs. The ear plugs suck but it got her through.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Yeah, it wa hard for Dh too.

He did it for four years, but his body just never got used to it. I practically begged him to quit his job. He was killing himself. He was unhappy. We were unhappy. I swear we only had sex twice in the four years he was at that job.

It was just miserable for everyone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

Does he just not have enough time to sleep when he comes home? Or is it too loud in the house for him to sleep during the day? My mom worked third for years, and she's a light sleeper so she always wore ear plugs. The ear plugs suck but it got her through.

he's not letting himself sleep so he can 'help' but it's not much help when he's dosing off and exhuasted all the time.

CuriousArentYa
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I was a completely different person when I worked third shift. I was a mean bitch. I never slept. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)