Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery but it's also ticking me off!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My sisters and mother are so... IDK... miserable, maybe? that whatever I wants to do or have, or wherever I want to go, they're going to do it or have it or go there, and it's getting to me, I admit, although I'd never tell them.

For example, I said I wanted to go to the beach, rent a place for the week, and have a nice family vacation. They all got together and did that, without telling me a thing about it until they were back with their sunburns and pictures. Then when one of them asked me what I was going to do on the other day when I was off, I said I was going to get my haircut, but the weather turned really scary so I stayed home. They all three went out and got their hair cut that day.

Now I'm going to see them this week because my brothers have a birthday and we're going to have a party for them and I'm trying to find a way to ready myself for the onslaught of stupidity.

Do you have imitators like this in your life, too? How do/would you handle this?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Replies (11-20):
partygal19dani
by Danielle on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:33 PM
2 moms liked this

I believe that I would stop telling them what I am planning to do!!!  That's about the only way that they won't be copycats.  And yes, it would bug the shit out of me!!  Sounds like they are very competitive and almost acting as rivals.......kinda like a keeping up with the Jones's mentality.......very annoying!!  So stop feeding into it or do as another poster suggested and make stuff up and then have a good laugh when they are doing it and you are not.  ;-)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Thanks. I'm not the OP, though.

Quoting o.O....:

I just figured a few people should read it before it featured... No matter though, good for you!

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know how it happened so fast! I don't think replies matter, however.

Quoting o.O....:

How does a post get featured with one reply?

teaspring
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

yeah, I'd definitely stop telling them things I had planned.  That would be so annoying

areyouatroll
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:23 PM
Are you upset because they copy you or because they didn't invite you?

Sometimes I copy people just because they have good ideas, I don't even realize I'm doing it. For example, I dont think to get my hair cut until someone else mentions it. I do need a haircut, but I didn't really think of it until you mentioned it. Hmmm. I think you might be uppity!
weezer_cookie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:24 PM
You evil genius, you.

Quoting VinVanMom:

Laugh and tell them I'm shaving my head.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Creepy! I have a friend who copies off of me. She gets pregnant everytime I do!

KenneMaw
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I have known people like that.  It is as if they don't have an original thought in their heads.  Have you ever jacked with them and said you may get an Elmo tattoo, just to see if they would do it?  Honestly, I think the only way to handle people like that is to not tell them a thing.   Good luck at the party :-)

quinnsmom715
by Donna on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:46 PM

tell them you and hubby are doing dom/sub..

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:47 PM
3 moms liked this

Wow, beach vacation, haircuts---those things are so freakin unusual and they're just NOT DONE ordinarily, so yes, if I found out my relatives went to the beach or got hair cuts when I WAS PLANNING TO DO THE SAME THING, I'd be pissed.  Whoa, I'd be so pissed. 

ChickenTheChina
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Why are they not including you in anything they do together? Rude!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)