Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery but it's also ticking me off!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My sisters and mother are so... IDK... miserable, maybe? that whatever I wants to do or have, or wherever I want to go, they're going to do it or have it or go there, and it's getting to me, I admit, although I'd never tell them.

For example, I said I wanted to go to the beach, rent a place for the week, and have a nice family vacation. They all got together and did that, without telling me a thing about it until they were back with their sunburns and pictures. Then when one of them asked me what I was going to do on the other day when I was off, I said I was going to get my haircut, but the weather turned really scary so I stayed home. They all three went out and got their hair cut that day.

Now I'm going to see them this week because my brothers have a birthday and we're going to have a party for them and I'm trying to find a way to ready myself for the onslaught of stupidity.

Do you have imitators like this in your life, too? How do/would you handle this?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Replies (111-115):
STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:58 AM

maybe they just can't come up with ideas on their own... I have family like that.  I seriously don't get bunged up about it... the beach thing... family vacation, but not including YOUR family?  or was it just mom and the sisters, no other family?  As for the haircuts... you say you are getting a haircut, it reminds them that they need/want one... I fail to see how this is copying you... most people get haircuts periodically, and I usually don't remember that I need one until my spouse gets one...  as for resturants and movies and the like, well, word of mouth is how I usually find new resturants I want to try...

I would totally just blow it off... it seriously isn't worth getting in  a tizzy over...  just say, "wow, mom, sis, looks like you had a great time at the beach- were you happy with your rental agent?"  "Nice haircut- that look flatters you..."  "What did you think of Manny's Steak and Squid Emporium?  It is one of our favorites..." 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Melodramatic? For not wanting to go out during a tornado warning to get my hair cut? Um, okay.

Quoting Anonymous:

you sound melodramatic. 

Quoting Anonymous:

With the haircut, they didn't know I didn't go get mine done until after they showed off their new hair and asked to see mine. I said I didn't get it done and they were all mad at me for not going, like I should have risked life and limb to get a haircut just because I told them I was going to and they all went and did theirs. There's a HUGE list of other things, though, where they've copied me, from little things like nail polish colors to big things like cars and houses. It's like they think if I'm doing it, having it, wearing it, eating it, etc., then they just HAVE to, too.

Quoting Anonymous:

how are they imitating? you did nothing and they did something.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 31 on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I have a few people who copy my every move, I got my hair cut a few days ago and yesterday my sil went and cut hers, I love photography, I just have always loved everything about it, I am always looking at new cameras and extras and taking pictures and everything I do including poses and places I take my family to , she copies, I buy a new outfit ,she goes and buys the same thing but the bad part of all of this, she made fun of my hair cut, she talks badly about clothes I buy or wear , just makes fun of everything I do and I find that she is just jealous of me, I don't like to think people are jealous just because they like something you like but to put or talk badly about someone you're copying just makes you jealous, I don't talk to her and still when she sees me out (small town) she within a week is copying something else, since she can't see my photos anymore she no longer is taking pictures herself but everything else she mocks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:37 AM

well, they seemed to be able to go out in this 'tornado' warning and get their hair cut.  BTW, life doesn't end because of the weather.  again, melodramatic

Quoting Anonymous:

Melodramatic? For not wanting to go out during a tornado warning to get my hair cut? Um, okay.

Quoting Anonymous:

you sound melodramatic. 

Quoting Anonymous:

With the haircut, they didn't know I didn't go get mine done until after they showed off their new hair and asked to see mine. I said I didn't get it done and they were all mad at me for not going, like I should have risked life and limb to get a haircut just because I told them I was going to and they all went and did theirs. There's a HUGE list of other things, though, where they've copied me, from little things like nail polish colors to big things like cars and houses. It's like they think if I'm doing it, having it, wearing it, eating it, etc., then they just HAVE to, too.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:59 AM

They live several hours away from me and didn't have tornado warnings - they didn't even have RAIN. I'm not going to take myself and my child out in a tornado warning for a f'n hair cut. You do know that in real life twisters don't take you away to a rainbow-colored Oz, right?

Quoting Anonymous:

well, they seemed to be able to go out in this 'tornado' warning and get their hair cut.  BTW, life doesn't end because of the weather.  again, melodramatic

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

you sound melodramatic. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)