Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery but it's also ticking me off!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My sisters and mother are so... IDK... miserable, maybe? that whatever I wants to do or have, or wherever I want to go, they're going to do it or have it or go there, and it's getting to me, I admit, although I'd never tell them.

For example, I said I wanted to go to the beach, rent a place for the week, and have a nice family vacation. They all got together and did that, without telling me a thing about it until they were back with their sunburns and pictures. Then when one of them asked me what I was going to do on the other day when I was off, I said I was going to get my haircut, but the weather turned really scary so I stayed home. They all three went out and got their hair cut that day.

Now I'm going to see them this week because my brothers have a birthday and we're going to have a party for them and I'm trying to find a way to ready myself for the onslaught of stupidity.

Do you have imitators like this in your life, too? How do/would you handle this?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Replies (31-40):
StoneColdKiller
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Oh I would start making shit up for them to do. I would start telling them "Oh I found this great gym and Im going in tomorrow and join", "This weekend Im going start taking dance lessons", "Today Im going to go shopping for new outfits", "This august we got a great Disney World Package that we are going to"

See how much they wish to copy you then lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Tell them you are  going to eat blowfish sushi, drive 100 mph on the freeway, then jump off a tall building.

Then stay home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I start telling them miserable awful things...like when they ask what I really wanted to do for vacation, I'd tell them go on a missions trip to Rwanda...not that that's awful, but for some people it would be horrid as a vacation and for others it would be rewarding...kwim? If they asked what you were doing the next day I'd say going to lunch at some place that they probably would loathe, or a movie they'd definitely hate...then maybe they'd stop being insensitive bitches after awhile
mom2theA-team
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I drove mine into 60K in debt, no joke... It was amazeballs every step of the way. I had a blog where I posted our family outings, etc. My cousin did everything withing weeks of us doing it. We knew they didn't have the money, etc. and tried to figure out how everything we did, they would do... A couple years later she blogged about 60K in debt because of all of their activities. I laughed about it when she mentioned it at a family outing. 

FYI- I knew she was copying us and that she was digging herself into debt so I enjoyed it:) 

imamombygrace
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:39 PM
I have someone that thinks my kids are in competition with their kids. Their kids are always doing exactly what mine are doing or trying to one up. They make it very obvious too and it's awkward. I don't understand why people can't be happy for others instead of making in to some sort of competition.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:41 PM

In that instance, it hurt more that they did it without me, but with everything else, they're copying me like crazy.

The list of things is very long because it's been happening ever since I got married over a decade ago, but for starters, I said I was trading in my car for a new one. My father and both sisters traded theirs the same week. If I'd said what I was getting, they'd probably all have gotten the same one, lol, but I didn't know what I wanted at the time, only that I wanted something new. I mentioned liking this purse, my sisters both bought it - I didn't even buy it, just said I liked it, and they bought themselves one, lol. I decided to repaint my bathrooms, and they all repainted theirs. I bought myself a new bathing suit because I'd lost weight, and they all bought themselves one, too (but my sisters had GAINED, not lost).

I'm starting to think of them all like that guy in the Italian Job who rips off his team and goes out and spends his stolen money on everything they all said they were going to, that they're completely unimaginative and desperate or something.

Quoting starfish333:

Have you ever had a conversation with them like, "When we discussed that I was interested in going to the beach for a vacation, why wasn't I included when you went forward with that idea?".  It sounds to me more like being left out than them copying you...  Either way, relationships with women in family is really complicated, and I hope that you are able to get some peace and good times with them...  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:43 PM

LOL! I didn't tell them those things until they were a done deal, but my sisters are 6 and 7 years younger and too young to want that at the time. They do, however, each have a dog and a cat because I do, but they had to "one up" me there by buying from breeders rather than rescuing. Now they each spent around $300 a month on meds for their breeder-bought dogs while my "mutt" is healthy as a horse, lol. I think in that case they should've just copied me and they'd have more money in their pockets. ;)

Quoting Pushthruthepain:

This but for the safety of children and animals do not tell them you're getting a pet or having a baby!lol

Quoting LuvMyZoo:

I would tell them outlandish things that you would never be caught dead doing, just to see if they do it. Then i'd laugh inside for the rest of my life.  Know what? Go window shopping with them. Point out the dorkiest things, worst things, and get totally excited about them, like you can't wait to go back and get it. Once they make the purchase, poke some harmless fun at said purchases every time you see them. If they catch on, use it as an opportunity to vent to them, and confess to them what you posted to us. LoL

ashybaby87
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:43 PM
I agree with others, trek them crazy things for them to copy. may as well turn an annoying situation into an entertaining one right? lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:45 PM

For the trip, that they didn't invite me, but for the rest, that they copied me. The trip also irritates me because it was my idea for the location, duration, activities, etc. I think they did it without me just to twist the knife since they didn't ask me to join them.

Quoting areyouatroll:

Are you upset because they copy you or because they didn't invite you?

Sometimes I copy people just because they have good ideas, I don't even realize I'm doing it. For example, I dont think to get my hair cut until someone else mentions it. I do need a haircut, but I didn't really think of it until you mentioned it. Hmmm. I think you might be uppity!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:46 PM

They all live close together and I'm several hours away, at least that's their justification. I'm okay with that, except for the beach trip since it was all my idea and they went without me.

Quoting ChickenTheChina:

Why are they not including you in anything they do together? Rude!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)