Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery but it's also ticking me off!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My sisters and mother are so... IDK... miserable, maybe? that whatever I wants to do or have, or wherever I want to go, they're going to do it or have it or go there, and it's getting to me, I admit, although I'd never tell them.

For example, I said I wanted to go to the beach, rent a place for the week, and have a nice family vacation. They all got together and did that, without telling me a thing about it until they were back with their sunburns and pictures. Then when one of them asked me what I was going to do on the other day when I was off, I said I was going to get my haircut, but the weather turned really scary so I stayed home. They all three went out and got their hair cut that day.

Now I'm going to see them this week because my brothers have a birthday and we're going to have a party for them and I'm trying to find a way to ready myself for the onslaught of stupidity.

Do you have imitators like this in your life, too? How do/would you handle this?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I really should try that, lol.

Quoting weezer_cookie:

You evil genius, you.

Quoting VinVanMom:

Laugh and tell them I'm shaving my head.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Literally my 1st thought as well. I thought, "Tell them that you're shaving your head for cancer and then just watch the glory unfold lol."

Quoting VinVanMom:

Laugh and tell them I'm shaving my head.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM

LOL! That would be good, especially after their reactions to Fifty Shades of Grey, lol.

Quoting quinnsmom715:

tell them you and hubby are doing dom/sub..

areyouatroll
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Ya that was not nice at all

Quoting Anonymous:

For the trip, that they didn't invite me, but for the rest, that they copied me. The trip also irritates me because it was my idea for the location, duration, activities, etc. I think they did it without me just to twist the knife since they didn't ask me to join them.

Quoting areyouatroll:

Are you upset because they copy you or because they didn't invite you?

Sometimes I copy people just because they have good ideas, I don't even realize I'm doing it. For example, I dont think to get my hair cut until someone else mentions it. I do need a haircut, but I didn't really think of it until you mentioned it. Hmmm. I think you might be uppity!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:49 PM

With the haircut, they didn't know I didn't go get mine done until after they showed off their new hair and asked to see mine. I said I didn't get it done and they were all mad at me for not going, like I should have risked life and limb to get a haircut just because I told them I was going to and they all went and did theirs. There's a HUGE list of other things, though, where they've copied me, from little things like nail polish colors to big things like cars and houses. It's like they think if I'm doing it, having it, wearing it, eating it, etc., then they just HAVE to, too.

Quoting Anonymous:

how are they imitating? you did nothing and they did something.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM

YES! That's here, too. They each make at least half what we do but yet go and do the same we do and then gripe about money troubles the rest of the time.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, we have relatives like that. It's always over the dumbest stuff too. Like, we did some landscaping in our yard and they did the exact same landscaping in their yard. We bought a camp trailer and they bought a camp trailer. Every single vacation we take, they copy. The thing is, they do not make much money so they are always strapped. I hate hearing them complain about having no money but they copy everything we do. Hello! We can do it because we make 3x more money than you. I think that but would never say it, lol.

CoolRelax
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the others. And actually if you play it right, it will be MUCH more entertaining!  Find a vacation spot that has the worst yelp reviews ever and tell them that's where you plan to go, point out hideous clothes and whistfully mention how you always wanted a tri-color mumu...you get the picture.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

My BFF told me the mumu thing - she said I should talk about my upcoming vacation and go to a store and try on a hideous one, take a pic, send it to them and say, "Look what I just got for my trip! Isn't it the cutest?!" and see what they say and do then, lol.

Quoting CoolRelax:

I agree with the others. And actually if you play it right, it will be MUCH more entertaining!  Find a vacation spot that has the worst yelp reviews ever and tell them that's where you plan to go, point out hideous clothes and whistfully mention how you always wanted a tri-color mumu...you get the picture.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:53 PM
bump
justahousewife
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:54 PM

LOL They must lack their own imagination. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN