Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

obesity is not a disease

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 115 Replies
3 moms liked this
I think it's ridiculous that they've now classified obesity as a disease. Obesity is due to poor eating habits and laziness, plain and simple. And you can't blame underlying health issues...other health problems don't make you sit on your butt and eat unhealthy food.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:27 PM
7 moms liked this

Well, Dr. Cafemommer, your opinion doesn't really matter, now does it?  ;)

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Like anorexia, bulimia, smoking, drug addiction, etc....

wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Well that was painfully ignorant.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

many people who have problems with their weight is because of addiction and mental problems.  SO, according to you, it is ok to bash people with depression.  Also, I don't care what YOU think, doctors have said it is a disease. Your opinion is irrelevant.  I HATE when people who have NO CLUE about something open up their uneducated YAP.  I have suffered with severe depression for nearly 35 yrs. but it is OK to bash me I guess.

Barronbaby
by Brandi on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Ummm i sure as hell blame being a bit over weight on and underlying health problems.. hell thats one of the symptoms of the problem. I think you should educate yourself
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's ridiculous that they've now classified obesity as a disease. Obesity is due to poor eating habits and laziness, plain and simple. And you can't blame underlying health issues...other health problems don't make you sit on your butt and eat unhealthy food.

Have you walked in someone else's shoes that has a weight problem? No? Then you need to get your facts before you pop off cause you don't have a clue what you're talking about
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:35 PM
7 moms liked this

I agree with you OP.  I am sure many of the obese moms on here will bash you for your opinion.lol  I grew up in a family of obese people and they will say they have a disease or it is genetics but I challenged my family a few years ago to try living my way for one year and some took me up on it.  They changed their diets and exercised with me for a year.  Everyone who stuck with my plan lost over half their body weight and most were off diabetes meds and other meds.  The diet was simply eat vegetables, fruits, lean meats, legumes and other healthy foods.  They have a cheat day on Friday and all exercised three days a week nothing too crazy just getting their bodies moving.  All have thyroid issues but still lost a lot of weight.  If they had a disease it was laziness and nothing more.  Other family members have been impressed and are making the same changes and all are realizing they are responsible for the size they are.  Bash away if you must.lol 

Rose12j
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a cousin who is obese. She in no way is lazy, she goes for walks. She tends to livestock at her ranch. Shes works in a mine and she is always active but shes overweight. I don't think you have a say in the decision Doctors have made, they obviously know more than you will ever. And like others say you don't know the routine of an obese person , so why open your mouth on a subject you know so little about?
dlnimo
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Can I like this a million times?

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, Dr. Cafemommer, your opinion doesn't really matter, now does it?  ;)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this
This is awesome! It's so true, all it takes is a lifestyle change.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree with you OP.  I am sure many of the obese moms on here will bash you for your opinion.lol  I grew up in a family of obese people and they will say they have a disease or it is genetics but I challenged my family a few years ago to try living my way for one year and some took me up on it.  They changed their diets and exercised with me for a year.  Everyone who stuck with my plan lost over half their body weight and most were off diabetes meds and other meds.  The diet was simply eat vegetables, fruits, lean meats, legumes and other healthy foods.  They have a cheat day on Friday and all exercised three days a week nothing too crazy just getting their bodies moving.  All have thyroid issues but still lost a lot of weight.  If they had a disease it was laziness and nothing more.  Other family members have been impressed and are making the same changes and all are realizing they are responsible for the size they are.  Bash away if you must.lol 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)