Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How can I get rid of excruciating emotional pain? What do you do?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 75 Replies
1 mom liked this

I cut and drink to numb the pain.  I know this isn't healthy, but I can't stand how bad I feel, so I disassociate.  That's what a therapist said I was doing.  Been in and out of therapy and on and off meds.  Still the overwhelming bad feelings keep coming.

I was abused as a child, and still suffer the emotional fallout.  What can I do to help myself?  My kids are college age and I do this when no one is around.

We lost our health insurance, but don't qualify for assistance cause we own a home.  It sucks feeling like this! 

PLEASE HELP!

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:31 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Suck it up and get on with it like everyone else.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:33 PM

PLEASE HELP !  IF YOU OVERCAME THIS!  I CAN'T GO ON FEELING LIKE THIS!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM
3 moms liked this

YOU CLEARLY DON'T UNDERSTAND, BUT DO YOU HAVE TO BE MEAN?

Quoting Anonymous:

Suck it up and get on with it like everyone else.

GreenEyePixie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:35 PM
3 moms liked this
Go to some of your local churches and talk to the pastor. Check with some therapists to seeing if the do sliding scale, payments. Call around and try to find support groups that deal with your issues. Instead of cutting or drinking write down how you feel. Or find some artistic way to deal.

I am a former cutter and when I start feeling that control slipping I turn to writing and painting. Feel free to msg me if you want to talk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Does the writing really make the feelings go away?  I'll try it.

Quoting GreenEyePixie:

Go to some of your local churches and talk to the pastor. Check with some therapists to seeing if the do sliding scale, payments. Call around and try to find support groups that deal with your issues. Instead of cutting or drinking write down how you feel. Or find some artistic way to deal.

I am a former cutter and when I start feeling that control slipping I turn to writing and painting. Feel free to msg me if you want to talk.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:42 PM
5 moms liked this

Whenever I'm overcome with a wave of grief for my only child who passed away, I simply feel it. I don't fight it, I just sit there and cry until I can't cry anymore. Then when I'm done and those feelings are out, I feel a lot better. Those waves also come less often now and are softer because I don't hold it inside until it explodes as a giant tsunami. 
I never turned to self-harm but like another poster said, I find that doing something with my hands is also a good way to calm myself down. You might want to try expressing those feelings as some sort of art or poetry or whatever. 

GreenEyePixie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:44 PM
2 moms liked this
It doesn't "make it go away", but it helps you work it out. For.me I cut to ease the the pain amd have control. Writing allows me to do the same thing without damage to me body. Hell your writing doesn't even have to make sense or flow. Just wheb those feelings come up grab pen and paper and just write everything that goes through your mind. Keep going to you feel calmer and more in control. My friend draws , plays guitar and sings. We also spar.

Quoting Anonymous:

Does the writing really make the feelings go away?  I'll try it.

Quoting GreenEyePixie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeaceLoveZ
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:47 PM
2 moms liked this

You have to deal with the issues and the pain you feel in order to move on. When those thoughts and feelings start coming through, talk to yourself, be realistic but positive. Noone can calm you better than yourself, you know what you need to hear. Have a conversation out loud with yourself, pretend your telling your life story and how you overcame the bad. You may be surprised as to what comes out of your mouth!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)