Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If your child wears a school uniform

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 78 Replies
What do you If your child wears a school uniform, and can't afford it?

I'm considering petitioning uniforms for next school year at our local district. But wanted some input on the economics of low income families. Even though the average income in my area is 65k+ I still want to take those who can't into consideration.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
casah4
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:28 PM
I wasn't in that situation, but here's a bump. btw.. I loathe school uniforms.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:30 PM
The plan here is to have 2 uniforms 1 daily and 1 pe. Free dress day either on Friday or early release days, and as reward.

Quoting casah4:

I wasn't in that situation, but here's a bump.

btw.. I loathe school uniforms.

HairClipQueen
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I love school uniforms.  Look for sales you can get some pretty good deals, look on ebay, garage sales.  It can be done on a limited budget.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM
I'm not the one having trouble paying for uniforms. Or asking for budgeting tips

The reason for my question is in the rest of the post.

Quoting HairClipQueen:

I love school uniforms.  Look for sales you can get some pretty good deals, look on ebay, garage sales.  It can be done on a limited budget.

Mommy2b2many
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM
The big Kmart and walmart usually carry uniforms...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:34 PM
In my state, the school has to cover the cost for the kids that qualify for free or reduced lunches, entirely or partially respectively.

Our district has considered it but with so many low income children, it's not feasible without raising taxes considerably.
Motherof3inNJ
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM
My district has a lay-a-way program for parents who are having trouble affording uniforms. I'd check to see if your town has anything similar. Also, the pants, shorts, skirts, & jumpers can usually be bought anywhere & Old Navy & the Children's Place have great deals on uniforms throughout the summer.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM
See reply above yours.

I'm looking for input from parents who can't afford uniforms, not budgeting or cheap stores.

Quoting Mommy2b2many:

The big Kmart and walmart usually carry uniforms...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:39 PM
This our fear that, those who can't or are open enrollment demand the school budget pay.

Quoting Anonymous:

In my state, the school has to cover the cost for the kids that qualify for free or reduced lunches, entirely or partially respectively.

Our district has considered it but with so many low income children, it's not feasible without raising taxes considerably.

goodygumdrops
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:40 PM

When our district started uniforms, they gave vouchers for free uniforms to those on assistance.  Our school started a rumage type sale after a few years.  Parents donate gently used uniforms, after they are all colllected the school has a one time sale.  Clothes are very cheap and all money goes to the PTA fund for school events.  The school nurse also keeps whatever uniforms are left over for kids who need a replacement shirt/pants during the day.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)