Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Need Advice About Filing

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies

I've tried to do some research online to give me a better understanding of how to proceed with a divorce but I'm not finding much that answers my questions. 

My husband and I have been separated since April 2007. I have not seen him since September of the same year. We have 2 children together, both born inside the marriage. He has not seen or spoken to them since the same general time. He doesn't pay child support as a New York court deemed he didn't have to based on his "poverty" status. I have no interest in filing for child support again or receiving any type of financial compensation from him. 

According to my ex, if I file for a divorce he will not contest it. He currently lives in the state of NY and I know that he will not be willing to travel to FL for divorce proceedings. I currently have a very low income. I know in the state of NY fees can be waived if you fall within a certain income bracket. I don't know about Florida.

My ex has absolutely no interest in any sort of custody or visitation arrangement for the children. He would prefer it if he could sign over his "rights" to them.

Here are my questions:

Where do I start?
Will the fact that we have children together hinder the divorce?
Does him living in another state make an impact on me filing?
Does FL have any sort of program like NY when it comes to low income families?

If anyone has any information, whether it be links that may help or from personal experience, please email me. I really want to proceed with the filing. Thank you for reading

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:38 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Bump
MichelleJ1000
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Search the internet for programs that can help you. Legal aid (if available) will help you fill out forms.
Iamstacey
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:15 AM
I think that may qualify as abandonment but, you would have to look up the rules for that. You can probably file for free because of your income. Go to probate court and ask if someone can help you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN