Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Your kids allergy isn't my problem!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 131 Replies

My child has just been recently diagnosed with a disease called eosinophilic esophagitis. This illness is basically caused by a food allergy that doesn't cause any external, noticeable symptoms (such as hives, trouble breathing, etc.) but if he has something he shouldn't, his digestive system is attacked in such a manner that worse case scenario, this disease could eventually lead to a feeding tube (praying and keeping high hopes that will not be an issue for us) My point is, his condition is very serious, causing many days of malaise, fatigue, vomiting, nausea, abdominal/chest pain, diarrhea, and debilitating pain. I have been called to pick him up from school for these symptoms MANY times! He missed over 20 days of school last year JUST for this condition. He is in kindergarten, going into 1st grade, and because he was diagnosed during the school year, and I was in the learning/dealing process, I feel like his teachers didn't really understand, and I'd often pick him up where he was just set in the middle of the classroom with a garbage can to vomit in front of all of his peers. It's embarassing for a child, and I'm sure will lead to teasing. Remember the pukey kids in school?? Yeah, so do I. Kids don't get it. Anyways, my point to this, is how should I go about educating his school/teachers/parents so that we don't have issues this coming school year? I think it's very important for me to educate my child as much as I can, and I realize it's no one else's problem, but I have such a hard time with this and I just don't know how to go about it. The biggest allergy is dairy, so this means no cupcakes for birthday celebrations, sitting out of ice cream socials, etc. I try to have the teacher let me know in advance if possible so that I can send vegan cupcakes/soy ice cream, whatever I need to accomodate my child in not feeling left out, but they don't always have advance notice from parents either. I also keep a stash of snacks that are dairy free with the teacher so that there is something there for him if need be. To what extreme do I go to educate the teachers/parents? How do you handle your child's allergy/illness?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Linus77
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:17 PM
11 moms liked this

Kids' allergy should be our problem if it's life threatening.  We shouldn't be so selfish that we would be willing to risk the health of children.

logansmommy612
by Amanda on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Wow. My baby is only one and is sensitive to cows milk but that's all so far. I cannot imagine that. Bump so you get anwsers! Hope you figure something out
IFartGlitter
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:18 PM

you can make vegan cupcakes and frosting-- no dairy needed. My son has 14 food allerrgies. you CAN live with this!! He is 2 and I am very proactive about giving anyone who eats with him a crash course. I teach tthem how to use the epi pen, provide a list of what he cannot eat or touch, and a small list of favorite foods that he can eat. Its a huge learning curve, but you can do it! I suggest compiling your information and having a meeting with his teacher and the principal and school nurse. 

IFartGlitter
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Quoting Linus77:

Kids' allergy should be our problem if it's life threatening.  We shouldn't be so selfish that we would be willing to risk the health of children.

you didnt read the post I take it?

angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I would sit down with his teacher and the nurse.  Explain it all.  As a parent I'm greatful for info like this from other parents and at parties and stuff I always provide a substitute.  To me it's just the right thing to do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I just feel like people don't really take me seriously because it's NOT an allergy that requires an epi pen or shows any crazy symptoms should he accidentally consume milk, but all the while it is literally tearing apart his digestive system and making him very very ill. I don't know how to go beyond saying "it's just an allergy" because it's more than that. Eosinophilic esophagitis is still a rarely new illness, so a lot of people have no idea what it is or what it does. It's just frustrating as mom. I don't want people to think that I think my child deserves special treatment and that it's their problem, but it's heartbreaking for me every time he is left out of a celebration, something that is supposed to be fun. He IS still just 6. 

Quoting Linus77:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:21 PM
3 moms liked this
When I was in kindergarten we had a classmate that had an illness and his mom and dad came one day to explain it to the class in a simple easy way and gave us stickers for being his helpers and friends. It was so sweet. Once kids are educated and put fear and ignorance aside, they are more likely to handle things with more compassion and less teasing. Maybe you and the teacher can come in and explain it to the kids?
punkinsmom0106
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I'm not familiar with the disease, but if it is a food allergy, shouldn't it be easier to manage?  Schools are used to allegries, some severe enough to be fatal; why is your son having such an issue?  Just tell the school that he can ONLY have food provided from home, due to medical issues, and they schould comply, which, if I'm understanding correctly, would stop all of the internal issues.  What am I missing here?

LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Hmmm. Didn't know there was a name for that. My Son gets like that if he eats beef. Last time he ate it at school, was before Hurricane Sandy. He stayed sick until November when the schools re opened. :(

Get a doctors note and teach him to ask before eating and know what he can't have.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM

That is so kind of you. I don't really expect other parents to have a substitute for him. I have no problem providing that, but I just need a little advance notice. 

Quoting angieluvsolivia:

I would sit down with his teacher and the nurse.  Explain it all.  As a parent I'm greatful for info like this from other parents and at parties and stuff I always provide a substitute.  To me it's just the right thing to do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)