Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My monthly bills..

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I am looking for some ways to cut back on our monthly bills to save a little bit more money.

Here are my bills:

Nationwide (two cars covered) $115.00/monthly

Sprint: $140.00 ..two phones

Comcast: 99/month..which is Internet and Cable

Mortgage: 741.00+50 HOA

Car Payment: 315.74 a month

Water: 47.00

Electric: 140 a month

Credit card: 100 a month ( total debt on card is 780)

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Replies (31-40):
Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:34 PM

call comcast and say you just cant afford it any more. find out how much it would to break you phone crantacts and cancle if it is cheap nough if not try and lower your plan.

milfanyway
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this
That's exactly what we did and saved over a hundred bucks a month! I love virgin!

Quoting elephantmamaof2:

I say phones first, we switched to virgin mobile. They use sprint towers, so it would be the same service you have now, except we now spend $80/ mth for both phones

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katherinemcp
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM
There's a local company near me who tells customers they can't do 'just internet' because so many people are cancelling and watching tv online, lol. So some companies do say that! But I wouldn't know which ones don't.

Quoting Benjamins-mama:

really? I have never had a company tell me that.

Quoting katherinemcp:

My brother just got a Roku to try and get rid of cable- you could invest in a Roku, pay $8 a month for netflix or hulu, and ditch the cable all together. I've heard they'll say they can't do 'just internet', but of course they can!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Get a used car
childofGod995
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:46 PM

as for phones, if they are cell phones, get separate ones and go with straight talk. 45 dollars a month for unlimited talk and text. eliminate cable and watch shows and movies on the computer.sell the car, and watch how much electricity you use. .aside from this. http://www.betterbudgeting.com/ and http://www.stretcher.com/ are two websites you can check out to get some tips.

milfanyway
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Drop cable, everything is online anyway. We have xbox live (so we can watch Netflix on the TV easier) Netflix boxes in the kids room and I use project free TV for anything Netflix doesn't have. I get weather and news on my phone or using our antenna. 18 bucks a month plus high speed internet is less than eighty for internet and TV. We shopped insurance with an agent to drop that bill. Saved over fifty a month without losing coverage or raising our deductible. (I'm not sure you could get much cheaper for two vehicles with full coverage though). Throw extra money at the credit card, try to lower your balance so more goes to principal and get it paid off. What is your interest rate on your home? Have you looked into refinancing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
milfanyway
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Oh, invest in LED bulbs. They are pricey but save you so much on your electric bill!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:47 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:48 PM

thank you!

Quoting milfanyway:

Oh, invest in LED bulbs. They are pricey but save you so much on your electric bill!

LilliesValley
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Cut the cable completely. If you have to have something get netflix, but we haven't had cable for years and it's fine. We don't have netflix either.

Shop around for better car insurance rate. That seems really high unless you've had a lot of accidents or tickets. Dh and I pay that every 3 months.

Your phones are high. I know sprint can be great but you may want to get one of the plans that Walmart offers with trackphone.

For your internet cut to At&t or someone else you should get a lower rate for being a newer customer. But we pay $38 a month for our internet.

Electric isn't bad, but try unplugging stuff when not using, even computers, cell phone charges etc. It adds up. Adjust your thermostat too. Try going up a degree or two in the summer and down some in the winter. Our house is at 76 for the summer but we go down to 55 in the winter.

Take half of the money you are saving and pay down and pay off the credit cards asap. It shouldn't take long. If you make it to tax season with cc debt left then pay it all off then and don't use them again!

I can't tell if your mortgage is high or not because it depends on your area, but it's lower than mine. You could always check into refinancing though and see if it would be worth it.

Your car payment is pretty high imo. But if you pay it off and then keep it for 10 years, then it's money well spent. Once you get your cc paid off, apply what you were paying on cc to your car loan. So if you free up even $50 a month extra from getting rid of cable, lowering your cell phone bill, and lowering your car insurance then you pay $150 on your cc a month. Once your cc debt is gone, you put that extra $150 to your car payment. Once your car payment is gone that goes to your mortgage. Think of it this way, at that point you will be paying about an extra mortgage payment every two months. You will pay down your mortgage way more quickly. Make sure you are saving too, but getting rid of the debt is the key. Take your tax return, at least half and use it to pay down your debt. Plus you'll get more back on your taxes when you start making those additional mortgage payments. An added bonus.

Cut out as many non essentials as you can. So dining out and going to movies comes to mind. Go out once a month instead of once a week. We go to movies once or twice a year and use redbox a lot (lol, a lot being once a month maybe). Make meals at home and box up left overs for lunch. Pack lunches instead of going out, etc etc. Go to the library instead of buying new books. Shop for clothes at Goodwill or other second hand shops. You can find a lot of name brand stuff at goodwill you just have to hunt. Use beans, rice and pasta to add bulk to meals. Buy meat on sale and freeze. A good vacuum sealer is well worth the money because you will throw out so much less food. We even freeze fruit with them. Use google to figure out how to do a lot of things on your own. Don't neglect basic maintenance on your home and car. Again tax return money is a great thing to use on your home. We used some of ours on a new furnace and ac. Well worth it as our electric bill is MUCH lower.

LOL. That's all I can think of for now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured