Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

WTF is wrong with you people? Update in red!

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:19 PM
  • 147 Replies

My husband's aunt and uncle are visiting this week. They are staying in a hotel near my mother in law's house but my husband invited them over today and we were going to eat lunch with them. They also brought their six year old son. They are, without a doubt, some of the rudest people I have ever met.

They were over for about an hour before we left for lunch so that we could talk and let the kids play. My stepdaughter is seven and my oldest daughter (not my husband's) is 5 so their son was right in the middle. I also have 19mo daughter (also not my husband's. I adopted her before we were married) and I am three months pregnant (this one is my husbands). 

The first sign of trouble started about ten minutes after they arrived. Aunt Kim apparently loves collies. I have a collie. My collie is very well trained and very patient but this woman was nuts. The dogs greeted them and, when Aunt Kim sat down, she called my collie to her and encouraged her to get on the couch. My dogs are not allowed on the couch. Sometimes I make an exception for Maggie when I am feeling particularly lonely. My dog kept trying to get away and she was literally holding her by the collar so that she couldn't get down. I asked her several times to leave the dog alone, that she was not allowed on the couch, and she was getting annoyed but she ignored me. Finally, one of my other dogs asked to go out so I took that opportunity to "rescue" Maggie and let the dogs go out.

The second problem happened right after I let the dogs out. I have two children with allergies, I have asthma, and I am pregnant. We are sitting on the couch in the living room, talking when Uncle Jack LIGHTS UP A FUCKING CIGARETTE!!!! I glared at him for a second and asked him politely to put it out. He asked why and my husband told him "Molly and Alice are allergic, my wife has asthma, and she is pregnant. It isn't good for her, the kids, or the baby."

"Eh, second hand smoke isn't as bad for people as everyone acts like it is."

"Well, that is your opinion but this is our house and no one is allowed to smoke in our house. It's bad for the kids, my wife, and the baby." He rolled his eyes and asked if he could go outside. The weather was nice so we decided to all go outside to sit. The kids all followed us outside to play in the yard. Aunt Kim decided to try her crap with Maggie again but she refused to even come to her. Then I had to hear for ten minutes about how unfriendly my dog was and how I should watch her around the kids. There is no dog more devoted to my children than Maggie.

In addition to the dogs and cats, I have two horses. Willow, my brown and white paint, is wonderful with children. My 19 month old rides her (in my lap of course) and the other two kids ride her alone (in the corral with supervision). The appaloosa, Sparks, was abused before I got her and she is skittish and nervous. She is friendly and the kids brush her and feed her but I don't let them ride her because she freaks out easily. Their son, Bradley, asked to ride one of the horses. I told him that, if is parents said it was ok, I would walk him and Willow around the corral. "No, I want to ride the spotted horsey." I explained to him that Sparks was not safe to ride and he proceeded to pitch a hellish temper tantrum on the front porch to the point where my kids were rolling their eyes (they know that, if they pitch a fit, they get an ass whipping). His mother offered him candy to get him to stop and told him she would let him have ice cream. Finally she said "It's ok, Bradley. Cousin Sophie will let you ride the spotted horse!"

"Um, no I won't. I don't let the kids ride Sparks. She is spooked easily and she might throw him."

"Well, I have to tell him something."

"Tell him no."

"Do you really know that the horse will hurt him? Has she ever hurt one of the kids before."

"She threw me once when she was spooked by a dog."

"Keep the dogs inside then."

"No. He can ride Willow or he can sit on the porch and scream. I'm not putting him in danger because you don't want to tell him no." He continued to scream and his mother finally told him that, if he agreed to ride Willow, she would give him a piece of candy. He finally shut up. I saddled the horse up and walked him around the corral until it was time to go to lunch while my husband sat on the porch and listened to them bitch about how I should sell Sparks and get another Appaloosa because it wasn't fair that kids couldn't ride "the spotted horsey". 

When Bradley got his piece of candy, my five year old asked if she had one too. She was told no and then I was told how rude my child was because she asked and how I should "teach my child some manners". Your little shit threw a temper tantrum and was given candy and my child is rude because she asked for a piece too? I don't give one child candy unless I'm going to give some to the others.

Then we went to lunch and he pitched a temper tantrum because, even though he said he wanted grilled cheese, he changed his mind and decided in his head that he would rather have Mac & Cheese and we are not mind readers. His mother asked for another meal and she said she would have to pay for it. Later, he also pitched a temper tantrum because, when he got a refill, his tea was unsweet instead of sweet. Honest mistake. My kids had the same problem instead of saying "Uh oh mommy! This tea is unsweet!" like my kids did, he pitched a fit. His mother then pitched a fit as well and somehow got his drink for free because the waitress wanted to shut her up.

Uncle Jack, once again, lit up a ciggerate in the middle of the resturaunt. Where they live, it is still ok to smoke in resturants but, in Georgia (where we live) it is illegal. My husband told him so and he replied "I'm a paying customer. They won't throw me out." I informed him that, whether he was a paying customer or not, they would throw him out and, once again, he was smoking around a pregnant lady with asthma and her kids who were allergic at which point, Uncle Jack said "What do you care? They aren't your kids anyway." I seriously thought my husband was going to slug him.

"When I married Sophie, they became my kids and that doesn't matter. If your child came over and was allergic to our cats, I would lock the cats up. Whether they are biologically my children or not, I am not going to let you do something illegal and harmful to my wife and children." The waitress came over and asked him to put the cigarette out and he started an argument that ended with him leaving the restaurant to have his cigarette outside. After we ate, he complained to the manager about the rudeness of the waitress, the tea and the cigarette and told him that the waitress brought the child the wrong meal and made them pay for another. They asked if we wanted to take the kids to get ice cream after dinner (his treat) and we declined (I pretended to have morning sickness because I don't want to be rude).

I can't believe that they were so rude and let their child be such a brat! I have never seen rudeness like this before. My husband and I (and my in laws) are pissed about the way they behaved. I'm hoping that they leave soon and don't ask us to do anything else. Ugh!

Update: I was wrong about smoking being legal indoors being legal in their state. They are from Colorado and another mom informed me that she lives there as well and it is illegal there too. I did not realize that. I assumed that, since he lit up without thinking, that it was legal where he lived. Apparently the law applies to lesser mortals, as well as the rules of the house in which they are a guest.

CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jabojoe
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Wow! They'd seriously have been out on their asses if they pulled that shit with me. Good for you for keeping your cool. Maybe you could make up an excuse if they want to do anything else. You could always plead more morning sickness. Lol
mamaof93969907
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:27 PM
2 moms liked this

WOW!! You hubby has a lot of self control! I would of come unglued to say the very least! Way to go for sticking to your guns about the horse! That would of been terrible if she got spooked and the little boy got hurt! Then the wicked witch would of try to have the horse put down or some other evil thing. Sounds like to me you have some good kids and an awesome hubby!!! 

Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:28 PM
7 moms liked this

I think one of my kids might be coming down with a mysterious illness.

Quoting Jabojoe:

Wow! They'd seriously have been out on their asses if they pulled that shit with me. Good for you for keeping your cool. Maybe you could make up an excuse if they want to do anything else. You could always plead more morning sickness. Lol

CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom Tickers
ajdahd13
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Jeez. Yeah they are assholes. 

Val99
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:32 PM

If they ask you to do anything else, just say No.

kiriis
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:33 PM
8 moms liked this
Holy fuck you have the patience of a saint.
twade26
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:34 PM

WHat a bunch of ass holes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:34 PM
After how they were at your house, I wouldn't have gone to lunch with them! Hopefully you don't have to spend too much time with them!
CamMa
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Oh my goodness, you two have a lot of self control.
thatgirlNH
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:37 PM
2 moms liked this

WOW. First off, you owe me a damn cookie for reading through all that. Second, you may consider not writing 'ass whipping' anymore. I think you might put out the wrong thoughts, whooping seems a bit less severe, lol.

But yeah, that family sounds like a real piece of work... and he seriously tried to light a cigg in a resturaunt?! Has no one taken him out of his house in 50 years... I mean... who does NOT know that it is illegal? I wouldn't be seeing much of them again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)