Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My 9 yr old son likes to play with his sister's Barbies and babies.

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:28 PM
  • 21 Replies

Does anyone else have a son who likes these things??  Should I be concerned??  My son and his 6 yr old sister play very well together (most of the time!), and they like to play together.  They like to play school where they are both teachers taking care of their classes;  they like to play store and make pictures and crafts to sell;  they like to play "house" with my dd's dolls--they play as realistic as they can.  And also they like to play pretend with her Barbies.  Sometimes they line up the Barbies and play a school scenario, or they give them baths in the sink.  Tonight they were playing with them out on our front porch, just pretending.

My son is not your typical "all boy"--he's not really into sports, could really care less, and is not very good if he tries them.  He's not aggressive and rough-and-tumble like most boys his age.  He's much more thoughful and insightful and detail oriented.  He's quiet and content and likes to play by himself and do his own thing.  Now, he does like his cars VERY much and has many, many of them.  He likes to design parking lots with sidewalk chalk and play with his cars.  He likes to draw very detailed pictures/diagrams of parking lots, buildings, houses, churches, schools, classrooms, etc. He also loves music and is doing very well at piano lessons.

I just kind of feel that he is who he is, and that he's going to grow up just fine.....but my husband is somewhat concerned about him playing with dolls.

What do you think?????????

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HaleyCovington
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:31 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I have a cousin who always played barbies with me and my sister and now he's I guess what you'd call a mans man. He rides bulls and stuff now.
lilou
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:37 PM
I don't think you should be concerned. There's no toy or game that will make him "gay". My 22 month old ds loves to wear his big sister princess shoes and play with the girlie toys. My dd loves to play with cars and firetruck. My husband had a hard time at first and tought I shouldn't buy "boy" toys for her and vice versa. He quickly realize that it won't cause any personality problem or anything like that.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I don't see anything to be concerned about. What does your husband think is going to happen?

mom2ljh
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:40 PM
I think he's a kid being a kid. I don't see a problem.
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Toys should not be gender specific; kids should be able to play with what they like. There is nothing wrong with a boy playing with dolls. The same a theres nothing wrong with a girl playing with trucks.
Gender roles are created by society they have no impact on a child's personality.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this
What would there be to worry about? Is he happy? Is he healthy? Is he well taken care of and loved? Thats all that really matters.
quietmomma
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:44 PM

I think it just makes him uncomfortable to see his son playing with "girl" toys.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

I don't see anything to be concerned about. What does your husband think is going to happen?

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Understandable but he needs to just deal with it, lol.

Quoting quietmomma:

I think it just makes him uncomfortable to see his son playing with "girl" toys.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:47 PM
We don't really gender specify toys in our house. What exactly are you thinking you should be worried about?
muzzyh
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:53 PM
What's the concern?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN