Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My 9 yr old son likes to play with his sister's Barbies and babies.

Posted by   + Show Post

Does anyone else have a son who likes these things??  Should I be concerned??  My son and his 6 yr old sister play very well together (most of the time!), and they like to play together.  They like to play school where they are both teachers taking care of their classes;  they like to play store and make pictures and crafts to sell;  they like to play "house" with my dd's dolls--they play as realistic as they can.  And also they like to play pretend with her Barbies.  Sometimes they line up the Barbies and play a school scenario, or they give them baths in the sink.  Tonight they were playing with them out on our front porch, just pretending.

My son is not your typical "all boy"--he's not really into sports, could really care less, and is not very good if he tries them.  He's not aggressive and rough-and-tumble like most boys his age.  He's much more thoughful and insightful and detail oriented.  He's quiet and content and likes to play by himself and do his own thing.  Now, he does like his cars VERY much and has many, many of them.  He likes to design parking lots with sidewalk chalk and play with his cars.  He likes to draw very detailed pictures/diagrams of parking lots, buildings, houses, churches, schools, classrooms, etc. He also loves music and is doing very well at piano lessons.

I just kind of feel that he is who he is, and that he's going to grow up just fine.....but my husband is somewhat concerned about him playing with dolls.

What do you think?????????

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Concerned about what? Wouldnt you love him even if he was gay?

quietmomma
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I can't tell you for sure what my dh is thinking--maybe that he should be doing more "boyish" things.  Our society makes it "abnormal" for a boy to play with dolls or Barbies, and feeling that something is "abnormal" makes us uncomfortable in general, doesn't it?

I can tell you that one of my main concerns is that as he gets older he may be a target for bullies or "jocks" to pick on, or that he just won't be able to find a place to fit in.  No one wants their child to struggle with that kind of thing.

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

We don't really gender specify toys in our house. What exactly are you thinking you should be worried about?

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Be afraid, be very afraid... he should be rolling in the mud with at least one broken limb and a bad attitude at 9.

Seriously though... what's the problem? Sounds like a nice kid. If you're afraid that he may be gay.. don't be. You have nothing to do with his sex life.
lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:58 PM
I grew up playing with cars, trucks, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers,ect. So to me it's kind of normal. lol

I work with children and I can assure you, it's normal. :)

Quoting quietmomma:

I can't tell you for sure what my dh is thinking--maybe that he should be doing more "boyish" things.  Our society makes it "abnormal" for a boy to play with dolls or Barbies, and feeling that something is "abnormal" makes us uncomfortable in general, doesn't it?

I can tell you that one of my main concerns is that as he gets older he may be a target for bullies or "jocks" to pick on, or that he just won't be able to find a place to fit in.  No one wants their child to struggle with that kind of thing.

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

We don't really gender specify toys in our house. What exactly are you thinking you should be worried about?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this

If he is gay, what toys he plays with will not change that. If he is not, playing with Barbies will not change that. 

Either way, he is who he is, but if you take things away that he loves, he will learn to hate you. 

quietmomma
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I would never take it away from him!!!!  I agree, he is who he is.  I think he's a very special kid.  It's just that my hubby was talking about this last night and it got me thinking a little bit.  We love him and we don't try to change him.  I want him to be his own person.

Quoting Anonymous:

If he is gay, what toys he plays with will not change that. If he is not, playing with Barbies will not change that. 

Either way, he is who he is, but if you take things away that he loves, he will learn to hate you. 

quietmomma
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I agree.  And that's what I basically told dh last night.  It's in his personality to be this way--he's very sensitive and thoughtful.  I think I have a wonderful son, of course!!!!  He's very helpful to me around the house--sets the table, cleans up his room, runs the vacuum, takes the dog out--these are all things he WANTS to do--I don't MAKE him do it!!

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Understandable but he needs to just deal with it, lol.

Quoting quietmomma:

I think it just makes him uncomfortable to see his son playing with "girl" toys.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

I don't see anything to be concerned about. What does your husband think is going to happen?

MissmeMissme
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:09 AM
2 moms liked this

I think it is typical for a father to feel that way. 

I think your son is fine and I wouldn't worry about it. Growing up my brother played with me and my Barbies. Kids have great imaginations. 

In my opinion if your husband is worried because of sexuality, I believe people are born the way they are. You son playing with dolls will not effect that. 

dsmith909
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this

i think you should just let him be who he wants to be, and play with what he wants.he's just a kid.He'll grow out of it and if he doesn't he's still going to be your son.Right?

dsmith909cat

aimkins18
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this
IMO there are no boy or girl toys JUST toys.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)