Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

feel like a failure for not celebrating my son's birthday

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

My LO is turning 2 and I have no plans for his birthday. It makes me feel bad as I see families celebrating birthdays with big parties.

Here is the situation.

I am a single mom and we have no relatives in the country.I work full time and we do a lot of things when I don t work but I do not have a solid group of moms with kids his age that I could invite. I joined a lot of Meet Ups but they usually have events for mid morning and early afternoon and I work until 3pm.

So basically, even though we go to gym classes and other events, I feel that I can t really invite anyone.

I could invite his godparents and 2 or 3 other friends of mine.

but that s about it.

would you do a little party?

would you invite them for dinner?├╣would you invite them to an indoor playground and pay for meals? I think that option will be more expensive and we wont be at home

any ideas?

FYI

If I dont celebrate it, i d still make it a special day with him and I will be off so I can still have a blast with him

any thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chunkyhoney78
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:16 AM

he is young right now so he isn't going to remember it anyways so don't beat yourself up about it. Just a nice meal or a few of his fav foods and cake with the people you are friends with will be fine.My son just turned 3 money is tight so we just had dinner, cake and ice cream with family over dh's family only my family lives 1800 miles away he still had fun with everyone and enjoyed his cake.

ummcarter
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:16 AM
No everyone celebrates birthdays. Muslims, Johova Witnesses othere I a sure. It is very unlikely that he would remember anyway. When you cwn you will buy him a gift because nyou love him. And I sm sure you do things all the time to make him feel special.
jett286
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Whether you invite your small group of friends or just celebrate with your son make it HIS special day.  As long as you recognize his birthday by making it specail for him ( meaining his favorite breakfast and activtity and/or dinner) just celebrate your son even if it's just the two of you, celebrate HIS day.  That is the important thing and what he'll remember as he grows that YOU celebrated HIM!  Happy birthday to him..

luvhubandbabys
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:26 AM

If you want to just buy some cake mix and make him a cake buy some balloon dollar store. Hes 2 thats all he needs. It doesnt have to be the party of the year to celebrate. We do small parties for our kids b days no friends no extended family just us. My kids love having cake to eat and balloons they could care less about the other stuff.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:28 AM

WTF is a Johova witness? It's Jehovah lol.

Quoting ummcarter:

No everyone celebrates birthdays. Muslims, Johova Witnesses othere I a sure. It is very unlikely that he would remember anyway. When you cwn you will buy him a gift because nyou love him. And I sm sure you do things all the time to make him feel special.

angie729
by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Plan a special day with him. Make a little cake and let him help decorate it. Find something to do and make it a birthday tradition with him.

ummcarter
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Hey man if the correct spelling isn't in my tablets spell check I am just going to spell it wrong. I can do many things but spelling, especially proper nous is not something I'd say was on my list of accomplishments lol. And you know why accomplishments is spelled correctly? Because its in my spellchecker. Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

WTF is a Johova witness? It's Jehovah lol.

Quoting ummcarter:

LaughCryLive
by Emerald Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:36 AM
My dd is 6 and we have never had a party for her.
FrozenReesesCup
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:38 AM
He'll be happy spending the day with you playing games and watching movies.
kissesxoxo8882
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:40 AM

I would do a fun day out just you and him

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)