Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

could you be a step mom at the age of...?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 78 Replies

Could you be a step-mom at the age of 18?  I was 17 when DH and I started dating. His son was 4 at the time.  (yes I was 13 when he and his ex had their son)  I was NOT ready to be a parent and resented DH bringing his son HOURS away from SS home and be left with me while DH did things he had to do.  He was not there to see me and he made darn sure I knew it.  Now SS is 14.  I still am uncomfortable with him being at our house.  Hes at an awkward age for boys as well and since we had a rocky start every time I say something to DH he automatically thinks I'm attacking his son.  DH just isn't listening to me.  I told DH he will be treated just like our kids, I will expect respect and give just as much as he will give.  If he is going to be a sourpuss the I will let you sit by yourself and act that way.  If you want to get up and be involved you're more than welcome.

Could you handle being a Step mom so young?  Could you handle being a step-mom at all?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zeenah
by Zarah on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:36 AM

I was a "step mom" to two kids 17 i was around one but he didnt parent and two other kids at 19 though I was never around them. I didn't want to be a step mom. Probably why we didn't work out...

EntrepeneurMom
by The Major on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:36 AM
2 moms liked this
You decided to get with him! Sounds like youre still too immature to step parent.
jessimicuh
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:39 AM
You knew he had a son...but no, I don't think I could be a stepmom period..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ThreeReasons123
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:47 AM
It sounds like if your DH spent more time with his son and not use you as a live in sitter his son probably wouldn't have resented you in the beginning and things would probably be fairly normal now.

I don't think I could ever be a step parent, other peoples kids piss me off especially when I'm left in charge with no real say in their upbringing.

That being said, I appreciate step parents. My husband is a wonderful father and step father.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:51 AM
I was a step-grandma at 18, so... Lol!!
CrossStitchMum
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:52 AM
It would be hard at that age. My (step)mum was instant mum to 4 at 26. I was the eldest, 8 at the time, and she did a wonderful job :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:55 AM

Quoting jessimicuh:

You knew he had a son...but no, I don't think I could be a stepmom period..

The catch is that DHs parents would drive there pick him up bring him back and drop him off with me.  Not asking or planning anything with me.  Just scratching their own itch to see him but not wanting to be responsible for him.  A 4 year old.  But they thought it would be good to leave him with a 17 year old.  Yeah,  great plan.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:57 AM
How is that lol?

Quoting Anonymous:

I was a step-grandma at 18, so... Lol!!

momofjkkc
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:03 AM
I was 17 when I met dh, two weeks before my 18th birthday. We married exactly a year later. I have a 19yr old and a 14yr old stepdaughter. I was 12 when the oldest was born. And dh says there is possibly a 24yr old out there.
When I first met dh I didn't want to get married, let alone have kids.
With that being said. Those girls mean the world to me. I would walk through hell and back for them. And dh and I have been mostly happily married for almost 14 years.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:06 AM

i became a step mom to my ss when he was 9 months old, i was 15 at the time he is now 10 years old.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured