Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm scared to go to work (psycho coworker) *2nd Update

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies
1 mom liked this
This guy I work with (I'm a lead worker) went ballistic on me yesterday as I disagreed with a direction he gave another coworker. He's always undermining me. I know he thinks he can do a better job than I can. He thinks he an do a better job than everyone can. Well he told someone (a guy that needs direction more than the average) to contact someone way over our heads and don't bother to did out what direction I have him already. Which I can't stop him from doing. But what I said was "having him call Don was a bad call, he should've contacted the project manager first". He just snapped! It was only me and another woman there. He yelled, insulted me, threw stuff, was stomping, left and back and went at it again. I seriously thought he was going to hit me as he walked past me.

So I sent my boss a message. He came over. Took the guy in a conference room and I heard the guy banging on the table and shouting. So I left the building, it was at the end of the day anyway.

Both Myself and the woman were mortified. I have to work closely with this guy and I'm scared to now. I'm not sure what's going to happen. I don't even want to see him.

ETA: Just talked to my boss. He was replying to a message I sent him saying I was very uncomfortable going in to work and wasn't sure I wanted to hold our 10am meeting with the team. I didn't sleep well at all. He thinks it was a temper tantrum and that the guy offered to apologize. He still wants me to hold our 10am meeting. He said we'll talk more when I get in and asked me if I wanted to talk before the meeting. I said yes, if what he has to say is supposed to make feel better. I don't know that I even feel ready to talk to the guy to allow him to apologize. :/

Update 2: After talking to my boss I got the impression The guy gave some good argument for his behavior based on the reaction from my boss. He said he wanted to resolve this between the team. I said I expected disciplinary action. He said maybe we could talk together about the issues, the three of us. After talking to the witness, my boss' reaction was different. He said he understands better now and is leaning toward disciplinary action. Was I supposed to be more dramatic with my explanation of what happened? Actually my boss didn't ask me more about what happened. :/
Anyway, I still don't have an apology. I'm going to recommend disciplinary action.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:04 AM
5 moms liked this
He's creating a hostile work environment. The supervisor needs to rectify it ASAP.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkyPan
by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow. Talk about a hostile work environment. I hope he was fired and you do not have to deal with him again. If that is not the case and he tries to bully or intimidate you I would immediately seek out someone who can remove him from the situation. Do you have security guards or cameras? GL

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Agree with hostike work environment. If he acted that way in front of the boss, hopefully he will put him on ice.
Try to avoid being alone with the loose canon.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Try to get a restraining order against him. then he won't be able to work with you?

Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:07 AM
"Hostile work environment" does not mean what you seem to think it means.

Quoting owl0210:

He's creating a hostile work environment. The supervisor needs to rectify it ASAP.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Neither. :/ it's a large office building. So there's always people around. After 4, when him and I are usually still there, it tends to be a lot less busy.

I was expecting my boss to call me after their meeting and he didn't. I guess I'll call him first and tell him I'm completely uncomfortable. I doubt the guy got fired.

Quoting PinkyPan:

Wow. Talk about a hostile work environment. I hope he was fired and you do not have to deal with him again. If that is not the case and he tries to bully or intimidate you I would immediately seek out someone who can remove him from the situation. Do you have security guards or cameras? GL

2Sparrows4ever
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:09 AM
Sounds a bit on the edge....
Good luck today
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I know at my work any form of aggression or anger can result in termination. We've had guys punch the wall after getting a 3 day suspension and were instead terminated on the spot for being a violent threat. Your supervisor needs to handle the situation accordingly!

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this
How does this situation not constitute that type of environment?

Quoting Diamepphyre:

Quoting owl0210:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ff-princess
by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:12 AM
I just completed my harassment training, and this most certainly is a hostile work environment. I don't think you could logically call it anything else.

Quoting Diamepphyre:

Quoting owl0210:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN