Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am I the only one? Kind of a s/o. ETA: 3

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 467 Replies
56 moms liked this
Am i the only one who still uses "gender stereotypes"? My son wears mostly blue. Has a few gender neutral things but nothing pink. He certainly would not be getting my little pony PANTIES. He will not be playing with barbies unless he has a sister. Baby dolls i don't really mind. He will not be getting a pink bicycle with the ribbons on the handle bars.
But in my opinion there are certain things that are for boys and girls and that's how I was raised and that's how I'll raise my kids.

ETA: I shop in the boy section. If a BOY shirt has pink on it, i would get it, but i refuse to buy girl clothes for him. That is just silly. My son will not be prancing around in a dress because I'm trying to make a point about not "stereotyping." I'm not saying he has to be all about trucks and guns, but it's not like I'm going to buy him barbies for his birthday.
I will not bash other moms for the way they raise their kids and their beliefs, so please don't bash mine.

ETA2: no i would NOT buy my son girl clothes or toys if he asked. I would tell him those are for girls. And honestly i will admit to being biased. If i had a daughter and she asked for more boyish things, i would probably buy them for her. There is a difference in a girl playing with a truck and a boy in a dress. It's not going to happen and my husband wouldn't let it happen either!

ETA3: this is really not about being gay. This is about, i dont want my son to be a wimp whether he is straight or gay! You all are really the close minded ones if you think gay guys walk around in high heels and dresses! If thats who he is when he gets older, fine. But he doesn't know what he wants at this young of an age and kids are mean so i will not be subjecting him to bullying.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:04 AM
9 moms liked this
Good for you. I wasn't all caught up in the color or gender implications of every aspect of my children's lives. I had better things to focus on.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:05 AM
4 moms liked this
How is simply shopping in the boy section being "caught up"?

Quoting Anonymous:

Good for you. I wasn't all caught up in the color or gender implications of every aspect of my children's lives. I had better things to focus on.

bcoll
by Brandi on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:10 AM
4 moms liked this

I don't know where I fit. My boys gravitated toward the blues/greens and more typical boy toys. That's fine. They played with dolls and kitchens with their sisters, and I see nothing wrong with it. My youngest daughter however is all over "boy" things. Blue is her favorite color. She has a blue scooter, Spiderman and Ninja turtle clothes and toys and I don't think that's wrong either.

*I guess I accept it where a girl is concerned, but am unsure of how I'd feel reversing it as I've never experienced it.*

Jessicamarquez
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:11 AM
I gravitate to pink but I do not dismiss any other out fits my DD has lots of blues browns greys with a cute pop of a pink animal or sometimes not at all just so long as she is clean and presentable and healthy that's my goal lol
MommyAddie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:12 AM
15 moms liked this
I believe in gender. I only have girls right now and they get girl stuff.
christina0607
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:12 AM
2 moms liked this

My kids naturally wanted gender normal items. My boys liked trucks and trains and my daughter liked barbies and pink. 

My boys would have never wanted anything pink. 

They did play with their sisters toys, but they never identified with girly items. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:14 AM
3 moms liked this
I think that boy's clothes should come from the boy's section of the store, and girls from the girls. But there are many colors and styles to choose from. As for underwear...if my kid really wanted pony underpants, I'd probably buy them.
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I have only boys, so we won't have barbies or panties or pink bicycles.

If they suddenly start asking specificaly for "girl" things, well, we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:15 AM
4 moms liked this
Oh god....you used the word 'normal'. Now you're in for it!

Quoting christina0607:

My kids naturally wanted gender normal items. My boys liked trucks and trains and my daughter liked barbies and pink. 

My boys would have never wanted anything pink. 

They did play with their sisters toys, but they never identified with girly items. 

2Sparrows4ever
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:15 AM
11 moms liked this
Raise them how you see fit, but our children were allowed to play with whatever toy they wanted to play with.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN