Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My kids know

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:09 AM
  • 16 Replies
That if they are gay I'm fine with that. Even my 7 yr old knows this and knows what being gay means.

I have also told them that they need to tell me if they feel that way so that I can help them. I have spoken to BIL who says if any of the boys figure out they are gay that I can call him and he'll help me talk to them since I don't really know, first hand the struggles that gay men face. (Honestly I also asked if he could discuss intimacy with them cause on that one, I'm a lost cause. I could never explain to the boys how that would work).

So do your kids know how you would react if they told you they were gay??
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starlight91
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:12 AM

So far Im not too concerned dd's are both boy crazy.

petie1104
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Yup that's my dd too. I'm not really concerned about her orientation as she is only 9 (almost 10) and she is already boy crazy.

Quoting starlight91:

starlight91
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:15 AM

yeah, mine are 18 & 13 , plenty of boys have passed through our lives and more to come..lmao

Quoting petie1104:

Yup that's my dd too. I'm not really concerned about her orientation as she is only 9 (almost 10) and she is already boy crazy.

Quoting starlight91:

petie1104
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:18 AM
I'm dreading the whole dating thing. Good news is she has 3 brothers so maybe alot of the boys will be scared off.
LadyAmaranth
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

No, we have more important things to deal with in our lives.

If they tell me they are gay...fine. I have no issue with it and the subject has come up after hearing stuff on news, so they kinda get what it means. However they are young and they don't care about stuff like that and that's fine. I have no desire to shove all that kind of stuff down their throats. When it becomes an issue to them, something of interest...then we'll discuss it and all other topics of similar "depth" too.

Jaxsonsmama2009
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Yeah I'm not gonna bring it up unnecessarily. Like, lets see how 3rd grade goes before we discuss the serious shit.

Quoting LadyAmaranth:

If they tell me they are gay...fine. I have no issue with it and the subject has come up after hearing stuff on news, so they kinda get what it means. However they are young and they don't care about stuff like that and that's fine. I have no desire to shove all that kind of stuff down their throats. When it becomes an issue to them, something of interest...then we'll discuss it and all other topics of similar "depth" too.

petie1104
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Yeah I don't shove it down their throats. But we discuss a current event each day and the Supreme Court ruling was one thing we discussed. So we discussed what it meant to be gay with the 7yr old who didn't know. Then we discussed how we all felt about gay marriage. Then I explained that I wouldn't have an issue if any of them discovered they were gay. So it was a very natural progression for conversation, not a shoving of information.

Quoting LadyAmaranth:

DannieLou
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:24 AM
DD14 told us she's bi. Ok, need someone to talk to? DH had his best friend, who is a lesbian, come over to talk to her. She's pretty shy, so she didn't say much. She knows she can ask when she's ready and that we love her, period.
christina0607
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:24 AM

My children know they can come to me with anything, that I Love them nonjudgmentally and unconditionally.

However I see no reason to talk specifically to them about being gay. They can cross that bridge in a timely manner. 

2Sparrows4ever
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:26 AM
If they are, I could care less, all that matters is their happiness
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)