Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oh please...you need to sleep!

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:42 AM
  • 8 Replies

My son is 9 months old and up until recently, he has always slept thru the night. I know he's started teething but he doesn't seem to be his teeth that are waking him up at night. If I put him to bed at 8:00/8:30pm, he'll  wake up screaming around 12:45-1:00am. Usually I'd make him a warm bottle, rub his back afterwards and put him back to sleep. He'll fall back asleep around 1:30ish am and usually will sleep until 6:30am or 7am. I'm fine with getting up at 6am (it's the time I always got up at.) but it's the middle of the night that I'm a little groggy and upset that he's awake. I'm not upset at him, but I'm upset that I don't  know why he's up screaming.

Last night I gave up and put him in bed with me (it's only me in the bed and I did co-sleeping when he was little because he didn't like the bassinet we had.) He slept fine but I don't want him to be sleeping fine in just my bed, he needs to be fine sleeping in his crib.

For those who ask...he only naps for 45 minutes in the morning and then two hours in the early afternoon.

Is there something that I'm doing wrong? I'm feeling like a horrible mother.   :(

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lovelove211
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Not you. They all go through that phase. They won't always be perfect sleepers.
Just this week my three year old was unwell and I was up until 4am with her.
If you're worried see a doctor. But in my experience they tend to do this
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terpmama
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM
9 months is a growth spurt... Add teething and I'm betting that's the culprit... Should pass soon.
KaylinC03
by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:47 AM
My son did the same thing at around that age, although it was much later in the night (usually 2:30-3:30am). Have you completely ruled out his teeth bothering him? Another possibility may be night terrors. My sons pediatrician said those can be common in babies and toddlers and unfortunately the only thing you can do is what you've already tried. :(

I would talk to your pediatrician if things continue. In the meantime have you tried teething tablets?
Harmonytmrrw
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I hope so! My mother told me it was pay back for getting a baby who has slept thru the night since he was 2 months old. Hahaha.

Quoting terpmama:

9 months is a growth spurt... Add teething and I'm betting that's the culprit... Should pass soon.

Harmonytmrrw
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I thought I was crazy into thinking it was night terrors because I didn't think they got them that young. He's been "teething" since four months but they haven't cut thru yet and just recently they have started to bother him again. There's only a little white line where his bottom teeth should pop up.

Does he need teeth to use the teething tablets?

Quoting KaylinC03:

My son did the same thing at around that age, although it was much later in the night (usually 2:30-3:30am). Have you completely ruled out his teeth bothering him? Another possibility may be night terrors. My sons pediatrician said those can be common in babies and toddlers and unfortunately the only thing you can do is what you've already tried. :(

I would talk to your pediatrician if things continue. In the meantime have you tried teething tablets?

KaylinC03
by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this
No but based on what you just said it definitely sounds like teething. When they break through the gums it causes a lot of pain and discomfort. :(

You could try Hylands Teething Tablets (they're all natural and no, he doesn't need teeth already) or baby Orajel. You could also try rubbing a warm washcloth on his gums.

Good luck! I promise it passes soon :)

Quoting Harmonytmrrw:

I thought I was crazy into thinking it was night terrors because I didn't think they got them that young. He's been "teething" since four months but they haven't cut thru yet and just recently they have started to bother him again. There's only a little white line where his bottom teeth should pop up.

Does he need teeth to use the teething tablets?

Quoting KaylinC03:

terpmama
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:01 AM
When my guys were teething... I froze breastmilk in icecube trays then would toss a cube in one of those mesh feeders. They loved it! It was cold and soothing and the mesh helped rub the skin so the tooth could come through.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Teething tablets are awesome!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)