Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Poor Republicans, a question?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 249 Replies
6 moms liked this

I am in a politics class this summer and I am just so dumbfounded by everything I'm learning. This isn't a new question I have, but I have been wondering for a long time, and now I have a large group I can ask!

So, poor (or even middle class) republicans, (especially in the south) why are you ok voting against your own economic interests? Why would you be against a tax increase for the very wealthy? Why do you want more cooperate tax breaks? Why are you against raising minimum wage? These things would a positive in your life...so why are you against them??

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
randomosityblog
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't know any poor republicans.

hargonagain
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:50 AM
13 moms liked this

Haha, my Mom tells me I don't make enough money to be a Republican all the time.  I am caught I the middle, I make too much to benefit from all of the social programs the Dems love to dump money into, but DON'T make enough to benefit from tax breaks and stuff the rich get.  I just hate the fact that the Dems want everyone so dependent upon the government to take care of them.  

Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:51 AM
21 moms liked this
Because it's short-sighted. Raising minimum wage is going to caise employers to lay off some workers so they can afford to keep others. Ditto raising taxes on the wealthy - they'll just cut back on operations and put people out of work.
3sillykids
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:51 AM
9 moms liked this

The people I have met that fit into the description you have given, seem to believe the way they do simply because they are told to, without using critical thinking. Once I have brought that up, or attempted to have them answer these questions in their own words, I have been cussed at.

I was recently in an area with many people that fit your description, and I would listen to the conversations, and it was like listening to someone just parroting back Fox News, but as soon as it was questioned, there was nothing to back up the statements.

petie1104
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:53 AM
22 moms liked this
Ok so I'm libertarian but ill say my views. First, I'm no longer poor but my political views are the same as they were then.

I don't feel I'm voting against my economic interests. I just feel they get taken care of differently. Tax increase for the wealthy, well if I ever become wealthy, working my booty off to make that kind of money, I'd like to ham on to it. So I treat others as I would like to be treated. The wealthy already pay up to 40% of their income for the highest earning. How much do you want to take? When is it enough? Or is it not enough until the wealthy are living like middle class? If that's the cad then what is the purpose in striving to so better in life, why not quit at middle class?

When discussing corporate taxes, they don't pay them, their customers do. When businesses pay less, they can charge less. When they pay more, those increases show up in prices of goods and services. Raising corporate taxes is simply raising my taxes because in the end I will be paying more for goods. Plus, those businesses will be hiring less.

Raising minimum wage typically happens right before an increase in inflation. Businesses have to pay workers more so they charge more for their product. Meaning minimum wage continues to not be enough to cover expenses because prices go up with the pay raise.

You think they would be a positive, all I see are rising prices at the store and for services.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:53 AM
2 moms liked this

A lot of people do not understand politics or where how to research before voting. That was quite evident during the past two elections.

BaltimoreBaby
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:54 AM

This. 

Quoting 3sillykids:

The people I have met that fit into the description you have given, seem to believe the way they do simply because they are told to, without using critical thinking. Once I have brought that up, or attempted to have them answer these questions in their own words, I have been cussed at.

I was recently in an area with many people that fit your description, and I would listen to the conversations, and it was like listening to someone just parroting back Fox News, but as soon as it was questioned, there was nothing to back up the statements.

JTROX
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:54 AM

We need businesses/corporations to keep the economy going.  

Raising the minimum wage would not be a positive in my life.  It would cause an increase in prices.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:55 AM
6 moms liked this
Poor republicans around here believe the way they do mainly because of religion. Their stance on abortion, gay marriage, etc.
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:56 AM
4 moms liked this
Because Republicans have been really good at getting out the erroneous message that lower taxes creates jobs... it's been their driving message since Reagan (their god).

Wealthy people don't SPEND their money, creating jobs. They save and invest their money, making more money but creating no new economy.

I'm not saying that public aid programs don't need reform, but as long as Republicans aren't willing to look at reform instead of elimination, nothing will EVER happen.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)